Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 11:26 PM

Default MacBook Pro problems

Ok I just purchased a MacBook Pro. I'm already having some problems. I installed OSX.5 since it came with MacBook but wasn't preinstalled. I then started BootCamp and configured the partition to take up about 2/3's of my Hard Drive Space. It then asked me to put in a Windows XP disk with SP2. I got a legal student copy from school that was a copy. I thought I made a good burn of it but apparently I was wrong. It rebooted and gave a message
"insert boot disk"
I fought with it, rebooting several times and finally got the cd out of the smart drive.
No matter what I did I couldn't get OSX to load up. I eventually rebooted holding down the C key and essentially I'm at the point now where I'm loading OSX.5 again.

Is this going to create a second instance of OSX.5? it saw the two partitions and I selected the partition where OSX was already on and it gave no errors, etc or messages items were duplicating. It just keeps chugging along.

I can probably get XP again from school and try again as far as bootcamp goes. I just want to make sure I'm not corrupting my OS by reinstalling.

Is there a way to completely wipe my Mac HD and start with a clean install and is this recommended? I really haven't done anything with it yet since I bought it today.

I really like the notebook but not sure if it's going to be worth the grief to use it as a windows machine. Problem is it's a 10% restock fee.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:38 PM

Default Re: MacBook Pro problems

i had a ton of problems when i tried to install xp w bootcamp. i tried about 10 different xp version...finally i gave up and bought a new xp sp2 version and it all worked fine.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:35 AM

What are you using Windows for? This isn't a solution for your problem, but have you considered using Parallels instead? I'm a big fan.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:30 AM

Windows will be for Poker as the primary, but once a week I help run Magic the Gathering tournaments and need Windows for something called DCI Reporter. It's a windows only scorekeeping tool.

I considered Parallels but haven't bought it yet. I was under the impression that Parallels could make use of a bootcamp partition and just save you from rebooting if you were lazy. I understand it can also run itself w/o Bootcamp but everyone seems to cry about how slow it is so I assumed Datamining poker using parallels was a bad idea.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:28 PM

Ive heard that VMware fusion is better than parallels from a few friends who have used both.

Im not sure how the poker software works in VMware/parallels, but i think they work very well as long as you configure them correctly and have enough RAM. Setup is meant to be extremely easy too.

Edit: id love to hear from anyone playing poker + ptracker/PAHUD on a mac. any problems, etc...?
Old 10-30-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ive heard that VMware fusion is better than parallels from a few friends who have used both.

Im not sure how the poker software works in VMware/parallels, but i think they work very well as long as you configure them correctly and have enough RAM. Setup is meant to be extremely easy too.

Edit: id love to hear from anyone playing poker + ptracker/PAHUD on a mac. any problems, etc...?

[/ QUOTE ]

I also heard the same thing and plan on using it to run windows xp on my macbook pro. What are people's opinions on downloading windows xp illegally? Is there much risk/hassle involved?
Old 10-30-2007, 07:37 PM

I'm pretty sure the FAQ mentions 2+2's stance on stealing intellectual property, probably not the forum to be asking that question.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure the FAQ mentions 2+2's stance on stealing intellectual property, probably not the forum to be asking that question.

[/ QUOTE ]
Indeed. Have a nice break.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:29 PM

Still fiddling with BootCamp, hopefully this time it will work.

Question about Parallels/VMWare.
If I have a BootCamp partition it will recognize Windows is there, yes?

Parallels will allow me to install Fedora? BootCamp I thought would allow Linux as well as Windows but this no longer seems to be the case.

Do a need a anti-virus for Windows as well as Mac. A friend of mine says Mac Users generally don't bother with anti-virus software but it seems like I should have it for at least Windows. Any opinions or any suggestions on one that will handle all partitions?
Old 10-31-2007, 01:31 AM

I finally got XP loaded Via BootCamp. Seems to be the key is to hold down the option key whenever you need to reboot in order to select the Windows Drive.

Couple questions from a Mac Newb. On OSX on the desktop part theres a picture of the Macintosh HD and right below it is an Untitled HD. I assume this is my Windows HD. Is there a way to remove this icon w/o removing the Mac HD icon? this icon is pretty much useless so wouldn't mind getting rid of it. (Also how can you rename it to Windows XP or whatever)?

Also below it I have Firefox listed as a disk. Is this just a glitch with Firefox? I can "eject" firefox even though it's not a disk but a file and it will remove it from that part of desktop but when I came back to it later it reappeared after having opened FireFox which is somewhat annoying.

Is there a way to illuminate the keyboard while in Windows XP?

All help is appreciate. I'm loving the book though.