Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 07:17 AM

Default And I thought I was weak-tight *before* this hand...

Commerce 20. So this idiot donkey who play way too aggro preflop and way too passive post-flop (basically the perfect opponent) opens in MP; a horrific lady in the hijack who plays far too weakly preflop and absolutely terribly loose post-flop (not to mention she's on tilt from not winning a pot in an hour) cold-calls; I'm on the button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and goddammit I don't feel like folding and 3-betting might get me some fold equity later on but one of the blinds is loose and calls down with any pair so I figure why not just cold-call and try to win a nice large multiway pot with a suited connector. I cold-call.

Both blinds end up folding. 3 to the flop. Flop comes 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP bets, HJ calls, I raise, both call.

Turn is the crap-tastic 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Checked around.
River is the T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP hesitates and checks, hijack checks, and I.... check because I can't see what worse hands will call and what better hands will fold.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:11 AM

Default Re: And I thought I was weak-tight *before* this hand...

Um yeah this is fine. Only debatable spot is I think folding preflop is probably a bit better.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think folding preflop is probably a bit better.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my standard play. But goddamit I was so sick of folding in that session. I was card dead and my wrists were cramping from me spinning 2 cards into the muck every 3 minutes. I had a table full of drooling babboons and I couldn't pick up two napkins to play against them.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:06 AM

You got the odds with the dead money from the blinds and having the button. Crappy flop with the paired board.

There is nothing you could have done differently once the flop came.

The only different play I might have made was folding preflop if I was convinced the blinds would fold. However, suited connectors on the button is always tempting, even if I have to cold call a raise when a loosey cold calls ahead of me. So put me down for being a sucker.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:28 AM

You don't hink Ace or Kind high will call?
Old 09-20-2007, 10:28 AM

I think I would have bet the turn.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

That's my standard play. But goddamit I was so sick of folding in that session. I was card dead and my wrists were cramping from me spinning 2 cards into the muck every 3 minutes. I had a table full of drooling babboons and I couldn't pick up two napkins to play against them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Order and nurse a beer until you pick up a hand.

Anyway, going by player descriptons, I don't think you could play this hand post flop any other way. The only possibilty I think is if the river bricked you could try a bluff as it seems no one had a pair.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think folding preflop is probably a bit better.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop tilting and fold preflop already. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Once you get there I really think you should bet the turn. Obviously check the river if you get called, but I think there's a reasonable chance in a smallish pot that you're the only one who can represent any sort of pair here, and if they call (well, especially if the PFR calls), you'll still have a bunch of outs most of the time.

Rob
Old 09-20-2007, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You got the odds with the dead money from the blinds and having the button.

[/ QUOTE ]

Barely. You should have at least one more cold caller. If the two players in the pot have a 25% range then he'll have about 27.74% equity in a $145 pot (after rake). That's $40.22 equity for a $40 call.

But if the big blind calls with 50% of his hands it already creates negative equity, about $38 of equity for the $40 call. So half the time you have $38 equity, and half the time you have $40.22 equity. The call loses about a dollar on average.

You really want bigger multi-way pots for these hands, just like small pocket pairs. In a 5 way pot this hand will have positive equity whether your opponent's ranges average 7% or 25%.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:54 PM

At what level of suited connectors would you consider a preflop cold-call +EV? Is T9s good enough? QJs ?