Pirate 43 27.22%
Indian 10 6.33%
Scottish Braveheart Dude 19 12.03%
Soldier Fighting Evil Forces 24 15.19%
Other (Specify) 14 8.86%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2007, 12:12 PM

Default Share your tricks for playing as a single

I haven't tried this, but at public courses that do not require a credit card for reservations, you could book a twosome and show up alone, saying "my partner cancelled". Then you can book a time rather than having to walk on, plus you get paired with another two, or at worst a two and a walk-on. (I dislike playing as a single with a threesome - usually you are taking the place of one of their buddies that didn't show and the dynamic is not fun).
Old 08-13-2007, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Share your tricks for playing as a single

dont do that please, courses really dont appreciate that [censored]
Old 08-13-2007, 12:40 PM

This sounds like part of the reason why some courses starting requiring credit cards to hold reservations.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:09 PM

I golf much more than my friends, so I regularly call courses on Friday night to see if there's a single slot on Saturday morning. I've been doing this since I moved from another state 8 years ago. It's safe to say I've played 80-100 rounds as a single filling in a foursome.

I have never experienced:
[ QUOTE ]
usually you are taking the place of one of their buddies that didn't show and the dynamic is not fun

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps the problem is you.

Considering this:
[ QUOTE ]
book a twosome and show up alone, saying "my partner cancelled"

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a safe bet...
Old 08-13-2007, 04:34 PM

Tricks for playing as a single:

1. Allow lots of time.
2. Show up at the course with golf clubs and clothing. Pajamas are generally not acceptable (per USGA commercial we've all seen 120,000 times).
3. Inform pro shop staff and/or starter (depending on course) that you're a single and would like to get on if space permits. Not being a dick is usually beneficial.
4. Wait.
5. Fork over greens fee.
6. Play.

Maybe it's different in other parts of the country, but everywhere I've played in the midwest I've been able to get on within an hour or two (or less) with no tee time. Sometimes I get paired up, sometimes it's slow and I can go off alone - at off peak times that happens more often than not.

Personally I don't mind getting paired up. Met some interesting people that way.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:13 PM

can someone elaborate on what is considered acceptable/unacceptable about playing alone? I never have had any problem playing the course closest to me (I play there pretty much 90% of the time). But I also play right in the middle of the day, during the work week 99% of the time. I didnt realize some places made you play w/ other etc. besides the FAQ, what can I read to learn more about whats acceptable or not?
Old 08-13-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
can someone elaborate on what is considered acceptable/unacceptable about playing alone? I never have had any problem playing the course closest to me (I play there pretty much 90% of the time). But I also play right in the middle of the day, during the work week 99% of the time. I didnt realize some places made you play w/ other etc. besides the FAQ, what can I read to learn more about whats acceptable or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's just a matter of getting efficient groupings out on the course.

If you've got a single wanting to play on a Saturday morning you have to find a (preferably) threesome to pair the single with.

Obviously you can't send 1 guy out to play on his own in between two foursomes at 9:00AM on Saturday.

Plus, I doubt that many people want to play golf by themselves so it's probably not that big of a deal in the long run.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's just a matter of getting efficient groupings out on the course.

If you've got a single wanting to play on a Saturday morning you have to find a (preferably) threesome to pair the single with.

Obviously you can't send 1 guy out to play on his own in between two foursomes at 9:00AM on Saturday.

Plus, I doubt that many people want to play golf by themselves so it's probably not that big of a deal in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I would MUCH rather play alone than with strangers, all else being equal. I mean, of course on a crowded day, I'd rather be paired, so I'm not just standing around. But I'm amazed that on an open course people would rather play with strangers than solo. A course just recently reopened in Austin, and my dad and brother and myself went out. It was about 9:30 on a Saturday and there was maybe one other group at the course. A single comes up and says he would rather play with us than alone? WTF? You could play in 2 hours alone, why would you rather intrude on a family outing. We hung out in the parking lot till he got the hint. So, poll time:
Old 08-13-2007, 06:59 PM

Im with you on this, I like playing alone sometimes, and I like playing with friends too, it just depends what kind of mood Im in. Alone or with friends, is better than playing with randoms though.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:02 PM

Wow, I'm not sure how to vote there. It's kinda sad that the poor dude got negged by you guys, it may have hurt his feelings. Some people like getting out and socializing and your group was his only shot at that.

Also, I almost never play alone so that's a total coinflip to me: if I had time to kill and wanted to enjoy the outdoors and meet some people, I may prefer to go the slower route. Remember, some people are just happy to be out of the house and away from their yapping wife and kids, so a five hour round is actually more appealing to them than the faster one. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

EDIT: also, if it turns out that the people I'm playing with really suck or are annoying, I can always just opt out and play ahead. It's a no-lose, really.