Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 02:45 PM

Default should i move back down?

Was at $200 thanks to $2 sngs on FTP, started playing a little more cash and sngs, etc, and was at $300, and played my standard PLO10 game, lost 4 buy ins (really didn't bother me, since I got my money in good pretty well ahead, and omaha is swingy), and lost another $10 playing sngs.

Now, BR @ $250, should I move down to PLO/NL5 and stay at the $2/$3 sngs? Or should I play out swing?
Old 11-27-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Re: should i move back down?

Are you playing well and getting bad beats or are you getting outplayed? If you aren't getting outplayed I'd stay where you are and ride out the downswing.

edeted fur speeling
Old 11-27-2007, 03:11 PM

If you feel you have a significant advantage playing PLO $10 (and the play at that level is generally terrible--people can't read the board at PLO $25), then you don't need to move down. You don't need 25 buy-ins to take a shot at a soft game, and you shouldn't move down from a soft game just because you drop to 25 buy-ins.

You may hear that people recommend having a huge number of buy-ins in Omaha. However, that advice is for tougher games which can't be beaten for nearly the same rate. Large downswings are much more common in games where you are playing better opponents. Even when someone calls on a weak draw when a better opponent would not have gotten involved, playing that pot is usually much safer than normal poker, which means it decreases the bankroll you need.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:33 PM

Yes it was bad beats, every hand I got it in I was a favorite. I am getting better at taking bad beats in stride, it just still kind of sucks to lose that many times when I am ahead, but thinking of the long run helps.

Thanks for advice guys.