Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 04:10 AM

Default undergrad business degree has no effect on MBA chances?

im currently a freshman majoring in business at a top 15 undergrad school (US News World Report) and to be quite honest, the only reason is b/c I originally thought an undergrad business degree would help to get a MBA degree later, and that made logical sense to me. However, now that i'm learning more about MBA's in general people are telling me that an undergrad biz degree makes no difference whatsoever. Well, if thats the case, why shouldn't I change my major to something much easier and/or go exploring other majors to see what i'm interested in.

at this point, i don't realize or understand what the point of continuing my business major is, considering the business school here is ridiculously hard.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:21 AM

Default Re: undergrad business degree has no effect on MBA chances?

Your undergrad bus. school has a large influence on job opportunities after college. Job experience is a key factor in many MBA programs. If you go to Harvard undergrad you will have better job opportunities that will lead to better MBA opportunities. Also, if you want to get an MBA you should have an interest in business. You should major in something you are interested in not a subject that is easier. If you want to explore other majors feel free to.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:42 PM

The most important thing you should be figuring out at this point is what you want to do. And yes, your undergraduate degree has a direct and indirect effect on your MBA. And no, an MBA is not necessary for most people.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:13 PM

I sort of agree with the idea to take an easier major, but most top tier schools like to see at least 3 years post-graduation work experience. It's alot eaiser to get a job out of school with business or engineering than it is to get one in basketweaving. That being said, many MBA programs are now encouraging recent grads to come on in, a good example of this is Santa Clara. Also check out Clemson. But for many top tier schools you better have some sort of amazing resume to get in straight from undergrad.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:42 PM

hmm you sound like a umich bschool ugrad. at any rate, unless you're wharton/stern ugrad it doesn't matter. i guess if you're umich it will make a marginal diff, but frankly it doesn't matter what you major in for bschool.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:00 PM

You should always, always, always take the hardest ugrad major you can handle.

Engineering-realted ugrad+professional degree=piles of money