Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2007, 03:00 PM

Default 10/20 NL live game vs thinking player flopped set

Had numereous discussions with supposedly 'great' player although im not sure about their greatness, about this hand would like some feedback.

Its a 10/20 live game 9 handed stacks range from 1k up to 6k, villain in the hand has just under 4k i cover. Background on the villain is that he is pretty unpredictable and one of the biggest winners in the live game, has been playing fairly TAG in thi session but makes moves, and loves to play his draws and big hands ultra agressively.

Its a limped pot im actually eating at the time so limp in cutoff with 10 10 ahead of two other limpers, mayb bad limp but meh anyway, small blind folds bb checks, 4 players. Flop is J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], BB leads out for $60 into $90, both limpers call, i raise making it $340, bb goes into the tank and makes it $1100 total, leaving him about $2800 behind, 2 players fold.

Whats your play?
Old 06-02-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Re: 10/20 NL live game vs thinking player flopped set

Clear push. Worst case scenario he has KQs, leaving way too many turn scare cards, for which you wouldn't have odds to call to fill up. And he can also (I'd really say more likely in a raised pot) have 98s, or (less likely) naked flush draw but with bluffing intentions on lots of turns.

I'd just push and take the guesswork out of it.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:23 PM

Shove. Anything else, would be uncivilized.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:14 PM

Really?
Old 06-02-2007, 05:33 PM

Is this a joke?
Old 06-02-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Whats your play?

[/ QUOTE ]

move down
Old 06-02-2007, 06:51 PM

thanks for the responses so far, all pretty standard shoves. I don't mind that play, and for the most part i believe a shove is the most ev plus play, however vs this player with position and knowing that hes going to shove almost any turn i prefer just to call.

His hand range is pretty open faced imo, thus by calling, hopefully seeing a non spade turn u can get the money in on the turn with a 70% plus edge as opposed to a coinflip vs KQ or 89 spades all in on the flop. Afterall isnt the reason good players make money at poker because they get their money in in good spots as opposed to 50 50s.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for the responses so far, all pretty standard shoves. I don't mind that play, and for the most part i believe a shove is the most ev plus play, however vs this player with position and knowing that hes going to shove almost any turn i prefer just to call.

His hand range is pretty open faced imo, thus by calling, hopefully seeing a non spade turn u can get the money in on the turn with a 70% plus edge as opposed to a coinflip vs KQ or 89 spades all in on the flop. Afterall isnt the reason good players make money at poker because they get their money in in good spots as opposed to 50 50s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this post a question or a lecture? If you already had your answer, why did you post? I gave up lectures in freshman year of college.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess its standard in this game to be awful(?). If the villain is going to (???) shove *any* turn after you calling his 3bet. Also:

Hand 0: 61.417% 61.42% 00.00% 20673 0.00 { TT }
Hand 1: 38.583% 38.58% 00.00% 12987 0.00 { JJ, 66, AsJs, KsQs, 9s8s, JTo }

And shove flop, there are tons of scare cards that might make you hesitate on the turn and fold.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:23 PM

Calling sucks because draws make up the majority of his range here and a lot of turns are going to be ugly for you. Also, calling here pretty much announces that you have a huge hand. He's not folding here anyways, so just shove, I don't see why this hand was even posted, this is about as easy of a scenario as there is.