Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2006, 08:14 AM

Default Re: I guess I have to assume he isn\'t brain dead? (party 109$)

"thoughts?"

Haven't read the rest of the thread yet but ...

It's early, still way deep in the stack-building stage. You seem to have the thinking that the King-flush or K-Q top pair could be good enough to take down the pot. That seems reasonable.

To me, this early in the tournament, this reduces to the conceptual approach of treating a NL MTT as a single hand of Limit.

In a single hand, if you have the odds to make the call, then you do that and take your chances with probability. In the MTT, your objective is to win or at least make the top 3 or 4. In order to do that you have to build a stack. When you have the odds to try to make that happen, then you take them and live with probability.

In this situation, I would think your chances of getting paid with the flush are pretty good (assuming of course Villain doesn't have the suited Ace). Villain has preflop raised and called a flop raise. He isn't going anywhere.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yea, thats why i like raising more. also because you barely more than minraised him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I was thinking...smallish bet on flop- unless you really wanted him to call this.

I also like Exits plan for turn- not so sure I'd do it myself- but you'll nearly price yourself in if you bet 1k on the flop.

Also- whats he raising from MP2 to 2BB with? If he had a J...I think he would've repopped your flop bet. So you must be ahead here.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But, doesnt a bigger raise let weak pairs and something like AQ off too easy. I realize I am behind, but without them nailing the turn, it is my pot.

[/ QUOTE ]Hmm, interesting. Ya there's alot of decent players out there who will always peel off a card here for cheap and fold to a turn bet since (no offense) your play looks kind of dumb and they aren't sure what to make of it. I think if they know your SN then most will be folding, but maybe you can exploit an unknown image and get a little more off of them with a move like this. So in terms of CRing this might be ok. I don't know if its the best move though even if it sucks say bot and mid pairs as well as AK/AQ (maaaybe AT) into calling then folding unimproved. A b3b can fold out tp type hands and 88-TT (moreso the tp ahnds obviously). This move will always be called by those hands, and then I tihnk they will often feel too pot comitted to fold a blank.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:17 PM

Turn (1750): Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I have 3150 behind, he has me covered.

I thought this was an interesting spot. On one hand, my hand just took the lead vs. his range. But, as I figured on the flop my hand might as well be 62o. A bet doesnt really get called too much when I am ahead. I dont like the idea of running what is effectively a semi-bluff with TPGK, do I?
Old 07-29-2006, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i c/r bigger and shove turn. (like 1k should do)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct line. I hate the raise amount you picked. Its definitely too small.

I like the plan of raising pot sized and sticking in the rest on the turn no matter what comes.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:37 PM

After the turn, you only have fold equity when you don't want it. Lead small or check, planning to call turn or lead river if it checks throuhg.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:38 PM

I like lead small.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:58 PM

if you are going to c/r make it bigger on the flop.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:57 AM

Seems likely that opponent has a suited Ace of clubs, a pair of Jacks or a middle pair like Tens or Nines. Make a bet that is sized so that a call with any of these hands is a mistake. I don't think your hand is strong enough in this situation to offer the opponent a free card. You have to lead out here.