Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 03:16 AM

Default Thirddan\'s new log where he lifts things and eats things...

if youve been around this forum for a while you might remember my old log where i lost of ton of weight doing the velocity diet, if not then you can search for it...so its about time i did another one...

about a year ago i was a giant fat guy at around 190 @ 5'7...at my leanest right after the velocity diet i was about 155, but didn't really like how i looked cuz i was smaller/weaker than i was used to and my lifts were not where i wanted them and i think thats more important than having a six pack or whatever...so i started to eat again and gained some muscles and some fat and now im looking to lean out just a bit and see if i can keep myself entertained and increase my lifts a bit...

so, ive decided to eat slightly below maintenance and mess around with one of chad waterbury's routines from t-nation...i've done some of his 10x3 stuff, but now im gonna do his Total Body Training program...3 day per week full body routine where each day is made up of 4 compound lifts and 2 iso/smaller movements...

i think i weight like 172 or so right now, but i will weigh in friday morning and maybe take some pics/measurements...

so anyways...todays workout was...

Workout A - 3 sets of 5 reps w/ 60s between sets

+Conventional Deadlift - 275
+Back Squat - 185 (ripped my boxers some time during the second set)
+DB Flat Bench - 75 (prob can do 77.5, but maybe not 80)
+Seated Cable Row - 200
+DB Hammer Curl - 40 (prob can do 45, first time i've done curls in months)
+Standing Calf Raises - 250 (tougher than i thought it would be, but im pretty tired by the time i get to these)

oh yeah, i [censored] hate any kind of cardio so i probably won't do any...i might add in a session of complexes or 1-armed snatches on saturdays if i feel like going to the gym)

questions, comments, criticisms, calling me an idiot (thremp) all very welcome...
Old 11-06-2007, 03:31 AM

Default Re: Thirddan\'s new log where he lifts things and eats things...

What's your training history?

Did it start a year ago? What programs? etc etc
Old 11-06-2007, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's your training history?

Did it start a year ago? What programs? etc etc

[/ QUOTE ]

ummmm...i lifted on and off during high school and college, but nothing intelligent or structured...couple years later i realized i was really fat and started getting serious about a year ago doing a ton of cardio and mostly a crap routine i found on abcbodybuilding.com , but i was in such terrible shape that i still lost a bunch of weight...then i found t-nation and got into doing compound movements and learning a bit more about lifting/nutrition...

i don't remember the order of this, but i've done a bunch of different 4-6 week programs mostly just different scenarios of the major lifts...

i did the velocity workout (mostly 10x3), Waterbury's ABBH (10x3 and 5x10), Alwyn Cosgroves Fat Loss 1 and 2 from New Rules of Lifting, 5x5, Meltdown Training 1 (4 move circuit no rest), some other stuff i can't remember right now...

oh, im 24 fwiw...
Old 11-08-2007, 03:09 AM

Workout B - 3 sets of 8 reps w/ 90s between sets

+Hang Clean w/ Push Press - 105
+Front Squat - 135/125/125 (finished first set, but knew i couldnt do that weight for two more sets)
+Barbell Incline Bench - 135/155/155 (6+3) (hadn't done bb bench in a while, awkward at first, rested in the middle of the last set to avoid failure and did an extra rep)
+Good Morning - 95/115/115 (had never done these as straight sets before, only in complexes, will def increase the weight next week)
+BB Curl - 75 (will increase to 80 next week prob)
+Dip - BW/+15/+25 (took me a while to figure out the weight i would need, will prob try doing all the sets w/ +20 next week)

i normally lift in the morning so eating carbs isnt an issue since the next could of meals will have carbs as well...but this week i've had trouble getting up so im working out at night...say i finish my 1/2 serving of surge while lifting and will go to sleep like 2 hours later is it cool to have a Protein/Flax/olive oil shake right before bed?

---oh, regarding the rows from workout A, i think i will replace them next week with regular wide grip pullups...
Old 11-09-2007, 05:42 AM

Whats your goal? You also need to incorporate some cardio, it'll help any goal you have and is also vital to your health. You don't have to go crazy with the cardio, just pick 2 off days from weight lifting and do a light walk on the treadmill for 30-45min for starters.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whats your goal? You also need to incorporate some cardio, it'll help any goal you have and is also vital to your health. You don't have to go crazy with the cardio, just pick 2 off days from weight lifting and do a light walk on the treadmill for 30-45min for starters.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey bob, my goal right now is just to lean out a little bit and hopefully improve my strength a bit...nothing drastic right now, kind of trying to return to equilibrium after a long cut and a poorly done weight gain cycle...

as for cardio, i do walk everyday...i walk to the gym and it takes about 25 minutes each way, so i do get a little bit...i might also incorporate a 4th day where i do some bb complexes or a short sprint interval routine...
Old 11-09-2007, 05:39 PM

Workout C - 2 sets of 15 reps w/ 120s between sets

+Decline BB Bench - 135/145 (will go up next week)
+Leg Press - 360/360 - might switch to static lunges, comments?
+Lat Pulldown Underhand - 150/150
+Pull Through - 70/80 - i really like these, they seem easy, but i am pretty gassed after them
+Seated Calf Raise - 100/100
+DB Shrug - 60/70 - i originally had close grip bench, but i didn't want to do bench twice in one day, figured i would toss these in...

today was kind of weird...im really not used to doing this high of a rep range and i was pretty gassed during the sets, but i recovered and was ready to go again before the 120s was up on most sets...and when i finished all these i still had some energy so i did some snatch grip rack pulls (2x10@225)...

weighed 170lb this morning and i went out with the gf last night and had a beer/pasta/salad for dinner so i am probably a bit less...

oooooh, i forgot to put this in my previous posts...

MUSIC:
workout A = dry kill logic (all three albums)
workout B = slayer (god hates us all, diabolus in musica)
workout C = slipknot (all three albums)
Old 11-09-2007, 07:22 PM

I've found barbell lunges to be a great change of pace in the legs dept. for me. I progressed very nicely over the summer with DB lunges but needed a break from them.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've found barbell lunges to be a great change of pace in the legs dept. for me. I progressed very nicely over the summer with DB lunges but needed a break from them.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i've been doing db lunges the last couple months...i've read varied opinions on the leg press, but i rarely do it so i figured i would see what happens, but i might do the bb lunges instead...
Old 11-09-2007, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

+Pull Through - 70/80 - i really like these, they seem easy, but i am pretty gassed after them

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you focusing more on glutes/hams or lower back? These look like a really good exercise.

Also, how stupid did you look doing them?