Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Leave Michael Vick Alone...

Quotes from an article I found.

Van Drew: Vick Indictment Underscores Need for Overhaul of State's Animal Cruelty Laws

[ QUOTE ]
"The allegations against Michael Vick are appalling in their own right, but to read that dogs from New Jersey were involved in this sordid conspiracy is absolutely alarming," Van Drew (D-Cape May/Cumberland/Atlantic). "The Vick case underscores the difficulties state are encountering with illegal dog-fighting and it underscores the need for tougher penalties against the depraved individuals who breed dogs for blood sport."

[/ QUOTE ]

And what a cheap publicity seeking ass you are, Mr. Van Drew

I think it needs to be pointed out is that dog fighting dogs are bred precisely for fighting. That animal would not otherwise exist except that someone bred it for fighting. And it wants to fight too, trust me on that, it's bred so that in its heart of hearts, it wants to fight.

I think the other important thing to take notice of is that no one is accusing Michael Vick of stealing other peoples' dogs for purposes of dog fights. No he used his own property as he wanted to.

So, let me get this straight. Michael Vick allegedly bred a dog for fighting, and then used his property for the very reason it was created, and people are marching around with signs calling him a murderer, and saying he should burn in hell?

Hello, world. Fido is cute, but Fido is not a human being.

Here are somethings to consider.

1. In other parts of the world, dogs are eaten by humans.

2. These same countries export the remaining dog hides into the western world, and much of the affordable fur that people wear and is used in cheaper purses is in fact canine in origin.

3. Right now at this moment, pharmaceutical companies have thousands of dogs locked in small cages, where these dogs are being stuck with needles and being made sick.

4. No matter how you want to slice and dice it (pun intended), slaughterhouses make dog fighting look humane.

So, if you want to call Michael Vick a murderer and call him evil incarnate, then make sure that all of the following apply to yourself:

1. You are 100% vegan, and by this I mean, not only do you refrain from eating the delicious flesh of murdered cows, pigs, chickens, lambs, calves (we'll leave fish out since they don't have any feelings)--you also refrain from wearing leather goods and furs.

2. You do not take, nor have you ever taken any pharmaceutical drug that was ever tested on dogs.

I think it's interesting to observe that Americans don't get so upset about bull fighting, which is even crueler than dog fighting. Perhaps, its because that sport is harder to separate from all those delicious burger places you drive by every day.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Leave Michael Vick Alone...

If you aren't stupid, you should have no difficulty seeing the difference between being unkind to animals to provide cheaper food and medicine and being unkind to animals purely for fun.

There's certainly a lot of hyperbole about how evil this is, but that doesn't make it good. And bullfighting is really despicable too.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:23 PM

"being unkind to animals to provide cheaper food "

cheaper than what? It takes 10x MORE land to grow the same amount of meat than it does to grow wheat / soy etc. More delicious, yes, cheaper, no.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you aren't stupid, you should have no difficulty seeing the difference between being unkind to animals to provide cheaper food and medicine and being unkind to animals purely for fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I am stupid, why don't you explain to me what exactly the difference is. Actually, dog fighting is less cruel because as I said, the dogs want to fight. Having butchered a few animals myself (I grew up on a farm), I can tell you that without a doubt animals do not want to be butchered.

[ QUOTE ]
And bullfighting is really despicable too.

[/ QUOTE ]

PETA?
Old 07-27-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"being unkind to animals to provide cheaper food "

cheaper than what? It takes 10x MORE land to grow the same amount of meat than it does to grow wheat / soy etc. More delicious, yes, cheaper, no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheaper than more humane meat.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cheaper than more humane meat.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL @ humane meat

What do humane butchers use lethal injection?
Old 07-27-2007, 05:29 PM

What are the arguments against dog fighting anyway?
Old 07-27-2007, 05:36 PM

Cockfighting is still legal in one state I believe.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:37 PM

Funny you should ask...

web page
Old 07-27-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are the arguments against dog fighting anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with Sklansky that dogs aren't sentient; if anything, 'self-awareness' or 'sentience' likely isn't some discrete quality, but exists on some kind of spectrum. So if dogs are feeling pain -- and it's almost undeniable this is the case -- we should weigh that accordingly.

Given that we should all concede dogs feel pain, but obviously can't consent to fighting, I doubt causing such pain for a non-consenting entity for mere entertainment value qualifies as acceptably ethical.

Pointing out people's hypocrisies when it comes to meat eating ("but isn't a really good steak just a form of entertainment?") could just be pointing out some other form of cruelty, and doesn't legitimize dog fighting.

So I think the argument against dog fighting is that it causes needless pain to dog; and pointing out societal exceptions to this rule ("but we don't need so much slaughtered meat to eat, so the meat industry and the meat consumer cause 'needless' pain") may just indicate other unethical behavior, however accepted such behavior is by society.