Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 06:40 PM

Default Speaking publicly

In general, I am a good speaker when it comes to making points to friends or people I have known for a while, but
I have a problem speaking solo in front of large groups. Every time I try, I do an unsatisfactory job and I know that I could do better if I wasn't under such pressure. I get anxious, stutter in my words and cannot quickly find the right words to fit the context. Simply put I am inarticulate in front of many strangers.

Since these forums are full of antisocial poker nerds and some probably share the same problem, I thought this would be the perfect place to gather some insight and hopefully obtain some tips as to becoming a better public speaker. Is the secret experience? Or should I just picture everyone in their underwear?
Old 03-18-2007, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Speaking publicly

definitely experience...

Back in highschool I had the same strange phobia about public speaking that all American kids seem to have drilled into them throughout their formative years. Speaking in front of a class of 25-30 peers was about the most terrifying thing I ever had to do.

Through college, it got gradually better, as more and more classes required some sort of "speech" in order to pass them.

My first job after college was scheduling survey crews for a consulting company, dealing with contractors' phone calls all day and running the morning meeting, where everyday I'd have to tell all these guys where they were going, what they were doing, and all the details of their jobs. Just a little intimidating for a punk kid, telling a bunch of 25-50 year old guys what their job entails that day. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Anyway, after a couple of weeks, I was literally running these meetings (at 7AM) in my sleep. No big deal at all.

Last year was the last "nervous" thing that I had to do, as I was Best Man at my brother's wedding, and had to give a toast to 200+ friends and family. I'll admit that I was nervous, but it went off great. The anticipation was the bad part. Once I got started it was no big deal at all, and I even got a standing ovation from some of his more boisterous (and admittedly drunk) friends. The entire rest of that evening was people coming up to me to congratulate me and hand me drinks. (Yes, even the worst toasters get some sort of this treatment, but I actually think mine went over very well.)

Experience is the key... as with most things. It's not really about the "practice", but about getting through enough of the terrifying anticipation and finding out that it routinely turns out "not that bad". Eventually, it can even turn out "pretty darn good".
Old 03-18-2007, 07:14 PM

Thanks for the input.

I agree that anticipation is the worst part, and getting over this would most likely alleviate or even eliminate the problems within the speech itself.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:38 PM

I've gotten a lot better since I've started teaching. Practice practice practice. The secret is preparation ("She" was nice enough to let me teach her LSAT stuff over the phone when I was a n00b). Make good notes and follow them to the letter. Don't adlib ANYTHING until you know your speech cold and have given it several times (because once you deviate from the plan, it's really really hard to get back smoothly--this will make you look unprepared).

Also, speak loudly (authoritatively), and slightly slower than you would in normal conversation.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:18 AM

You could just take beta-blockers if your nervousness seriously hinders your ability to speak well.

[ QUOTE ]
Yet another alternative is a visit to your primary care provider to discuss the possible use of medication to help overcome your fear. Drugs called "beta-blockers" are non-habit forming, inexpensive, and can stop the huge rush of adrenaline that occurs with anxiety right before a speech. When taken prior to a performance situation, beta-blockers can help to reduce the physical symptoms related to performance anxiety, including palpitations, hyperventilation, trembling lips, and sweating palms. Also, many anxious speakers and performers prefer beta-blockers to other drugs because they allow them to remain mentally alert, which is not always the case with all medications used to treat anxiety.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/0806.html
Old 03-19-2007, 07:39 AM

I have a job where I have to do a lot of speaking in front of big meetings, etc. It never gets easier and I get nervous every time I do it. I think the best medicine for this is a combination of preparation and psychological tricks.

KNOW your material - don't read something verbatim, have little notes/talking points and work with that. Do the speech or whatever in your place before the meeting a bunch of times. As for the psychological stuff, always remember to think RATIONALLY. If you screw up, what's going to happen? You're all adults, yes? No one is going to laugh at you. Just keep it informal in your mind - you are simply discussing a topic you know a lot about with colleagues. Take the mind games out of it, take a deep breath and things will be cool.

Jeff
Old 03-20-2007, 09:25 PM

Picture everybody in their underwear.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:34 PM

Go run through a crowded place naked, once you've done that public speaking won't bother you. And keep in mind that no one wants to see you screw up up there, because it's uncomfortable for them too. Just don't worry about it and you won't get nervous.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You could just take beta-blockers if your nervousness seriously hinders your ability to speak well.

[ QUOTE ]
Yet another alternative is a visit to your primary care provider to discuss the possible use of medication to help overcome your fear. Drugs called "beta-blockers" are non-habit forming, inexpensive, and can stop the huge rush of adrenaline that occurs with anxiety right before a speech. When taken prior to a performance situation, beta-blockers can help to reduce the physical symptoms related to performance anxiety, including palpitations, hyperventilation, trembling lips, and sweating palms. Also, many anxious speakers and performers prefer beta-blockers to other drugs because they allow them to remain mentally alert, which is not always the case with all medications used to treat anxiety.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/0806.html

[/ QUOTE ]

quick HiJack...do u think things like this wud work for poker? for some odd reason i still have a hard time controlling breathing and slight sweat (same issues i get in social anxiety situations...) while playin live poker (no health issues...im 6'0", 145lbs, and 20yrs old...). i feel like i look like a fish when i play live...so do these help physically calm you? also, any mental side effex? (wud i have to worry about not thinking in the same light as i do normally?)

thnx
Old 03-21-2007, 06:24 PM

Get some inderal, it's a beta-blocker. Doctors will freely hand it out.