Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Who is the Biggest Dissapoint in Baseball?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are aware that the Yankees have played basically their entire season without their 3 best pitchers, right?

And once again : Defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Petitte & Rivera have been there the entire season. Wang has missed some time, true, but even when their "best pitchers" have pitched, with the exception of Rivera they (Wang, Pettite, Clemens, Hughes) have been very ordinary this year.

And I'm aware that defense has an impact on ERA. But is it so large that their true ERA+ should be 20% better? There is much better argument as to why their staff isn't so far away from the DBacks and Padres, and I'm surprised you haven't yet made it.

[/ QUOTE ]

They probably have the worst defensive SS in the league, so yeah, that makes a pretty big difference.

Let's not forget a hurt Damon was in CF for quite a while.

LF is not good at all. RF is ok.

2B and 3B are great. 1B is average, at best.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:57 PM

All I said was they currently have the best pitching in baseball, so it's pretty pointless to cite previous ERA+.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:58 PM

the rotation spot that used to be going to igawa or desalvo is now filled by hughes. scott proctor/farnsworth are now chamblerain/edwar. you are underestimating just how big a difference there is between those two options.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:00 PM

DC,

You're getting pwned and using really trash stats. You're one step better than throwing up wins/losses. Perhaps a xERA or DIPS would help?
Old 08-12-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the rotation spot that used to be going to igawa or desalvo is now filled by hughes. scott proctor/farnsworth are now chamblerain/edwar. you are underestimating just how big a difference there is between those two options.

[/ QUOTE ]

Igawa 63
Desalvo 70
Hughes 93

Replacing two horrid pitchers with one below average pitcher is an improvement, yes.

Proctor 113
Farnsworth 90

Chamberlin (4 innings 0 runs)
Edwar Ramirez 28 in two innings

Hmm, Proctor and Farnsworth weren't bad this year, considering they are relievers. Chamberlin & Edwar may perform better, but so far they've only pitched 6 innings.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DC,

You're getting pwned and using really trash stats. You're one step better than throwing up wins/losses. Perhaps a xERA or DIPS would help?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-12-2007, 08:52 PM

Guys, take your ARI/NYY argument to PM's.

I'll add another disappointment: Joe Borchard.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DC,

[/ QUOTE ]

How can I get pwned when you haven't even offered up a single fact in support of your assertions, no matter how much I gently prod you. ERA+ is a record of actual performance. And the roster you presented as "great" is having at best, an average year.

So dazzle us with DIPS. I would not be surprised if some Yankees have been unlucky or that Doug Davis, for example, is having the single luckiest season of any pitcher in record historym (I've witnessed it with my own eyes). But don't give me the last few weeks, because I'll just say variance my friend.

So the other factor you missed pointing out is that the Yankees play in the AL East, a much tougher league and division than the DBacks or Padres, so that's going to impact their pitchers performance. But the Red Sox staff has a 119 ERA+ against that competition BTW.

And if the Yankee staff is so hot right now, why doesn't one of their starters have a 33 inning scoreless streak?
Old 08-12-2007, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

They probably have the worst defensive SS in the league, so yeah, that makes a pretty big difference.

Let's not forget a hurt Damon was in CF for quite a while.

LF is not good at all. RF is ok.

2B and 3B are great. 1B is average, at best.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the DBack defensive is so good? Both the Dbacks and Sox pitchers have to get by with some shaky defense as well. The DBacks have below average range in CF, SS, 1B and 3B. The Sox have Manny
Old 08-12-2007, 09:16 PM

Thayer and Thremp and other condescending "omg I know teh sabermetric statz" guys are so totally wrong in this argument it's insane. You can argue maybe the Yanks have the best pitching going FORWARD, but there are zero metrics asserting anything at all that they have the best pitching right now. Their various in-season improvements haven't shown the results yet at all, so wtf are you talking about?

ARI: 9th in Defensive Efficiency at .702. NYY: 15th at .697. NOT A BIG DIFFERENCE. That's the best you have? Jesus.

Pads and Red Sox and various other teams I'm too lazy to look at have better pitching than the Yanks. The Yanks' pitching is good, not great, until proved otherwise. Get over it.