Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 01:04 PM

Default Larger than pot sized raises from the BB

So I've seen certain opponents make this play and I'm wondering 1) is this something you guys ever do without a hand and 2) is there a way to exploit opponents who do it. I play .5/1 6max and the play I'm talking about is where there are 2-3 limpers and the big blind raises to like 7 or 8, obviously hoping to just take the pot down right there. It seems to work most of the time and when it does the raiser takes down a real nice sized pot without any trouble. Does anyone ever do this without a real hand, knowing its tough for a limper to call a raise that big? Also, if anyone notices an opponent doing this fairly often, will you ever limp r/r from late position or the sb either with a big hand or without? Thanks.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Larger than pot sized raises from the BB

A lot of players use the 4bb+1bb per limper as a rule for the size of a preflop raise.

However, if a person does this a lot you could indeed limprr him, but I don't think this will happen alot. Mostly because you have to have 2-3 limpers and no raise, which is not something that happens a lot at the site I play at. I don't ever like limping in after other limpers with big hands because you really need a sick read that the BB will raise with any hand, or else you might have a problem when he just checks and you are on a random flop with 5 players with AA.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if anyone notices an opponent doing this fairly often, will you ever limp r/r from late position or the sb either with a big hand or without? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Short answer would be no.

Longer answer - My action could be somewhat dictated of my position at table in relation to villain.

If im in BTN or CO when he is BB I would much rather raise more hands making him 3bet me if he wants to defend.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, if anyone notices an opponent doing this fairly often, will you ever limp r/r from late position or the sb either with a big hand or without? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Short answer would be yes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-23-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Short answer would be yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

long answer would be cool [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2007, 02:04 PM

Why don't you just stop limping?
Old 09-23-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This tends to happen on hands where I'm either in the sb and complete because I'm getting sick odds, or I jump in on the button behind a few limpers with an A4s kind of hand that I'd prefer not to play in a multiway raised pot.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:57 PM

Villain will be doing this with solid holdings 80% of time but raising bit more to compensate for being OOP should anyone call. 77+
Old 09-23-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This tends to happen on hands where I'm either in the sb and complete because I'm getting sick odds, or I jump in on the button behind a few limpers with an A4s kind of hand that I'd prefer not to play in a multiway raised pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completing in SB is fine, but try raising suited connectors like 89s or suited aces like A4. You take control of the pot, improve the chances of you taking down the pot right there, if you get called you can cbet and take it down, you can flop a monster and improve the chances of you getting paid off, and you disguise your huge hands down the road --ones you'll be raising for value.

Your game becomes too predictable if you just limp with weak hands and raise with good ones.

Now if you do limp and someone behind raises you limpers, make sure that he's a thinking player who has been raising more than his fair share of the pots. If he qualifies, then you have a good chance of taking down the dead money by limp/3betting because he's more likely to put you on a huge hand. Also make sure that your 3bet is large enough and that you're not doing it too often.

I love the situation where a donk open limps and a tag from late position raises 5xbb because the tag's range is widened by the extra dead money in the pot. If I put in a pot size 3bet from the blinds, he would have a lot of trouble calling me.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Completing in SB is fine, but try raising suited connectors like 89s or suited aces like A4. You take control of the pot, improve the chances of you taking down the pot right there, if you get called you can cbet and take it down, you can flop a monster and improve the chances of you getting paid off, and you disguise your huge hands down the road --ones you'll be raising for value.

Your game becomes too predictable if you just limp with weak hands and raise with good ones.

Now if you do limp and someone behind raises you limpers, make sure that he's a thinking player who has been raising more than his fair share of the pots. If is qualifies, then you have a good chance of taking down the dead money by limp/3betting because he's more likely to put you on a huge hand. Also make sure that your 3bet is large enough and that you're not doing it too often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Erm just make sure your not completing in SB before doing this or your "thining player" in BB will know your at it as much as he is and widen is range.