Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2006, 02:59 PM

Default Leaking water in my house

I live in a 3 story townhouse. On the middle floor, the ceiling started leaking this morning. I put pots and pans around the living room and turned off the water to the house.

What is my next play? Contact the townhouse community office or a plumber? This house is only 2 years old. Is there such thing as warranty on a house for things like faulty plumbing? The insurance office is closed right now I think so they will be getting a call on Monday.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Leaking water in my house

I'm confused--do you own or rent? Or is it like a condo situation, where there is a budget to pay for common items like yard care, exterior or common wall structural problems, etc. I will assume you own the home, and there is a community board.

If you occupy all three floors, and you don't have a flooded bathroom above you on the third floor, then I assume that you have a leak in a pipe. Since this pipe likely resides completely within your living space, I also assume you would be completely liable for it if you own your townhouse. And unfortunately, home warrenties are usually in force for only for one year.

Consequently, I would probably just call a plumber. If it turns out that the community association is liable, they probably will reimburse you--and will be grateful you handled this yourself.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:37 PM

For one tell the people upstairs, for two tell the maintance guy. Waiting will only hurt this.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For one tell the people upstairs, for two tell the maintance guy. Waiting will only hurt this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since he said the room is on the "middle floor," I assume he lives in a three story home. In addition, unless the OP comes back to clarify, I also doubt that they have a "maintance guy" for things like this if people own their own dwellings.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:49 PM

Agreed if he owns all three floors then that won't help. I assumed it was a condo that he owned. If not then call the plumber ASAP you'r liable.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed if he owns all three floors then that won't help. I assumed it was a condo that he owned. If not then call the plumber ASAP you'r liable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if it's a three-story condo (attached on the sides), he likely is liable. However, even in the unlikely event that that the pipe is considered "common area," since it's still early in the weekend he should just call a plumber anyway.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:00 PM

If it is a three story condo attached on the sides then its not a townhouse (as OP had said) and there will be a maintance guy there to fix it. If there isn't then move out because you'll need it. Things like this happen all the time.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it is a three story condo attached on the sides then its not a townhouse (as OP had said) and there will be a maintance guy there to fix it.

[/ QUOTE ]

From Barons:

"Town House:
A dwelling unit, generally having 2 or more floors and attached to other similar units via party walls. Town houses are often used in planned unit developments and condominium developments, which provide for clustered or attached housing and common open space."
Old 11-11-2006, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The insurance office is closed right now I think so they will be getting a call on Monday.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I would call insurance right away. What is your deductible? If the leak is not bad and the damage not extensive the cost will probably not exceed the deduct, you will end up paying the entire cost yourself and the insurance company will still have to log it as an occurance on your policy. It might not affect your rates or coverage this time but it could in the future. (or so my agent told me when I reported mine.)

For reference, the tub overflow seal upstairs gave way and water leaked into the wall and through the downstairs ceiling. Wall upstairs had to be torn out, seal and drain replaced, wall repaired, wall paper stripped, walls repainted (estimate from insurance included repapering), damaged part of ceiling downstairs removed and replaced and repainted. Insurance estimate was for about $550.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:58 PM

The question is, what is he insuring? Since OP is not replying I can only assume that his condo is covered in water by now.