Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 06:55 AM

Default Re: Ball gets thrown - what to do?

[ QUOTE ]
Had you guys hit into them yet? If you can hit a "low liner" that lands 20yds short of the green, there is absolutely NO WAY you should have been hitting until they're well off the green...100% your fault.

[/ QUOTE ]

About 5 holes earlier, on a similarly short-ish 300 yard par 4, my drive ended up just barely short of the green while they were putting out on the opposite side of the green. Not even remotely close to hitting them, but they may have considered that "hitting into them" that time, and then got pissed when it happened a second time just a few holes later.

I can definitely take the responsibility for being in the wrong on this one. If I stood on that tee-box, I probably bring it home 1 or 2 times in 10 - maybe. And it will ALWAYS be a roll-on - I don't know that I've ever carried a ball 300 yards without a huge wind or downhill or something.

I just hate it when people wait so long to hit a shot like that (or go for the green in two on a par 5) when the chance of success is pretty minimal, and even if it gets there, it's not in a fashion that would hurt someone. Then of course most of the time it's not even close to the green and it really slows down play.

I guess what pissed me off most was that I had eagled the par 5 17th, and felt reasonably sure that my ball was within 30 feet or so of the hole. In the end, we just put it smack dead in the middle of the green, and I three putted from 60 feet for par.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:34 AM

Wait a second. Is every single resident of Pella, Iowa a member of this board? Klompy, RoundGay and now you. Nutty.

Anyway, agreed with your assessment of things. There's nothing more bizarre than some chop who is full of himself waiting ten minutes for the green to clear in the off chance that he hits the best shot of his career, only to top it fifty yards. If there was no reasonable way that you could have carried all the way to the green then they are literally getting their panties in a bunch and that may be the problem - women are probably defensive on the golf course because they get ridiculed a lot, and were just lashing out at you rather than thinking it through.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So, I'm up first - and I hit my drive well.

[/ QUOTE ]
c'mon trev,
If you're on any tee and you have a chance to hit into the group in front of you, let some of the shorter hitters in your group hit first.

You knew you COULD reach, and you still opted to hit. In my book, that's just plain dumb. AND you had come close once prior. Use your head man!

If I were in front of you, I'd either pocket it, 9-iron it into the woods, or tee it up and send it back.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:04 AM

Obviously, it's poor etiquette for the women to throw your ball.

However, it's also poor etiquette for you to hit a ball onto their green while they are trying to putt out. Physical danger isn't the only reason you don't hit into the group ahead of you.

-McGee
Old 09-06-2007, 10:13 AM

Where I play, usually if a group feels like the group behind is hitting the ball too close, the ball is teed up where it landed. This way you've made your point and no balls are lost. Obviously if they don't stop it I'd probably just pocket the ball - and I don't give a [censored] whether that's poor etiquette.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where I play, usually if a group feels like the group behind is hitting the ball too close, the ball is teed up where it landed. This way you've made your point and no balls are lost. Obviously if they don't stop it I'd probably just pocket the ball - and I don't give a [censored] whether that's poor etiquette.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually like this a lot. After picking up my ball, I started looking on the green for a tee or a ball mark or something - hoping they threw the ball as a way of telling me I was wrong - but then marking it so I really knew where it was. No luck there.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait a second. Is every single resident of Pella, Iowa a memeber of this board? Klompy, RoundGay and now you. Nutty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't know there were other Pellicans on this board. Might have to have a 2+2 Pella get together!
Old 09-06-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously, it's poor etiquette for the women to throw your ball.

However, it's also poor etiquette for you to hit a ball onto their green while they are trying to putt out. Physical danger isn't the only reason you don't hit into the group ahead of you.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is another aspect to consider. I know if I was standing over a putt, getting ready to hit and all of a sudden, here comes a ball rolling into my line of vision, causing a distraction, I would be a bit annoyed. Especially if I was in the act of putting at time.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:42 AM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues

[ QUOTE ]
A friend of mine broke a womens forearm with a shot that hooked to the next fairway over and ONE-HOPPED.

[/ QUOTE ]

osteoporosis is a bitch. drink more milk.

and yes, just wait for the green to clear. you are at fault. they are just bitches.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:45 AM

Meh, I think we're making a mountain out of a molehill here. It may have been a slight breach but I've rolled balls onto the green many times in my golfing career and my response was to wave and yell SORRY from afar and that typically is more than enough. And never did I think that I was at risk to hurt anyone before I hit it.

trevorwc, Klompy's roommate (hoksy) also posts on this board and maybe their other roommate too. Weird considering that I don't think it's that big of a place. I hear RoundGay has some hot Danish daughters so you should look into that (he doesn't read this forum that I know of so you're welcome).