Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 04:31 PM

Default Re: try suitcase deadlifts

ok, well not too sure about getting the super wide waste, so.........not like these would ever become a staple, but fun to mix it up.

tried suitcase deads.
took a bunch of concentration.
can't do them very heavy.
tough to balance the weight end to end.
felt it in my lats.
will do them again.
supersetted them w/ s.l. deads for final couple sets, felt good and def. felt in grip and use of balance.

thanks for the info thremp. lates. J.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thremp, a few months with Captains of Crush grippers and you'll never think of using straps again.

[/ QUOTE ]
I really need to get on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. Just looked at this page. How do you determine which pound-level to get?

[/ QUOTE ]

oh man these are the absolute [censored] i use them all the time

you can see major gains really really fast in your forearms. i was reading a strength/conditioning book about baseball and they recommended using grip crushers to improve bat control. i can't really say whether they did the job or more skill training did (i'm guessing the latter was way more important but the former probably helped a bit) but i do love the tools.

as many of you know, i am a huge fan of having easy to do workouts just so when i'm idling around, i can do things while watching TV, playing poker, at work, or whatever. SPRI bands, small dumbbells, tennis balls under my feet, and grip crushers are all really great for this.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:26 PM

also blarg has great info on contrast baths. in a similar vein, i never iced my shoulder/arm after pitching, having read a ton of studies that show it didn't really do much. there is a significant lack of sport science on whether or not icing + running is beneficial with the exception of a few japanese studies that link 20/10 ice:cardio workouts to being positive for the arm.

after shoulder fatigue and elbow strain, i took a few weeks off, and then started using an ice sleeve for 20 minutes, jogging 15 minutes, and icing for 15-20 minutes. after that i'd stretch a bit and take a hot shower. the difference is amazing in the next day! i felt so much better and even felt like i could throw 2 innings if needed (which i obviously didn't do).

contrast baths probably work in a similar fashion and as such i definitely recommend checking that out.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:42 PM

Here's my forum post on Captains of Crush and gripping from a few years back. Good back and forth between people discussing getting into gripping and some of the issues involved.

Captains of Crush thread
Old 09-05-2007, 11:14 PM

wow, thanks for all the gripper info. I ordered a trainer to start and I'll see how that goes. I feel like when I do deads or dumbbell lunges or anything with hanging weight, my grip fails before the targeted muscles do.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:26 PM

kyleb,

Something else might just be a warm/cold contrast bath. I did this previously for soft tissue injuries. Extremely painful, but doing 5 rounds of 3 minutes on each is v v effective. Have not contrasted it with ice + run for like 20 min each.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:28 PM

J Brown,

I'll give it a shot tomorrow as part of my warmup, I'll max each side and trip report on how it turns out. Hopefully I don't get too hammered tonight. If my legs wake up feelings terrible, will likely bump to Fri.