Old 11-24-2007, 01:39 AM

Default Re: ***Official 2007-2008 MLB Offseason Thread***

i assume he is gonna be closing in cincy and wasnt in cincy maybe
Old 11-24-2007, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i assume he is gonna be closing in cincy and wasnt in cincy maybe

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean Milwaukee the second time...but why wouldn't he be closing up there? He closed last year.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Former A's pitcher Joe Kennedy dead at 28...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-24-2007, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cordero passed on $42 million for 4 years from Milwaukee (a place and management that he said he really liked) for $46 million for 4 years from Cincy.

Yeah, that makes sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

That Dusty Baker signing is paying dividends already.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:53 PM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Reds, closer Cordero agree to $46M deal

pffffftttt

[/ QUOTE ]

What a genius move. All 75 win teams become instant contenders with good-not-great closers.

God, the Reds are retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

This signing was an absolute must for the Reds. They have nobody in their bullpen, so Cordero basically adds whatever his win projection is to their win projection. Even if this signing were to only make them a 78 win team, that takes the Central ~10% of the time. Add in the volatility with guys like Bruce, Votto, Bailey, and Cueto, and this team could be in the postseason 20% of the time.

BTW, Cordero K'd > 80 and walked < 20 in 70 IP in 2007. He's an alpha reliver, no doubt about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

cordero was a fantasy stud for me this year, no doubt.

have you guys seen who closes games in the NL Central? good-not-great (debatable point) is the MF-ing nuts.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
have you guys seen who closes games in the NL Central? good-not-great (debatable point) is the MF-ing nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another point I missed the first time around. Not only do the Reds improve, but they weaken one of the supposed frontrunners. Have fun with Derrick Turnbow.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Another point I missed the first time around. Not only do the Reds improve, but they weaken one of the supposed frontrunners. Have fun with Derrick Turnbow.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're defending the signing of a closer (remember, the Reds will only use him in "save situations" because they're stupid) at $11.5 million a year from age 33-36?

I don't care how bad their bullpen has been...they need a lot of pitching, and spending $46 million on ~275 innings of relief from a mid-30's closer is nuts.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're defending the signing of a closer (remember, the Reds will only use him in "save situations" because they're stupid) at $11.5 million a year from age 33-36?

I don't care how bad their bullpen has been...they need a lot of pitching, and spending $46 million on ~275 innings of relief from a mid-30's closer is nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I give the Reds credit for identifying their biggest weakness and then signing the best available option to strengthen that weakness. Not only was this a "good" signing by the Reds, it might go down as the best of the offseason!

The Reds don't need as much pitching as you think. Harang and Arroyo are two solid, reliable guys to front the rotation. Belisle's ERA was crappy, but his periphs suggest a close to league average starter. They've got three MLB ready young guns in Homer Bailey, Matt Maloney, and arguably the best pitching prospect in the minors, Johnny Cueto. One of those three will be a star starting in 2008, so they really only need one of the others to be solid. It might take some time to figure out who's going to fill what role, but the Reds don't need to sign a starter. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that the Reds should now focus their attention on a high risk/reward closer like Gagne or Foulke.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:08 PM

Cordero is obviously going to help the Reds quite a bit, but he's being severely overpaid. Though it's not the Reds fault the market severely overvalues closers.

The Reds have another glaring weakness that isn't as easily addressed. Griffey and Dunn combined to cost them about 50 runs in the outfield this year because of their terrible defense. Dunn seriously needs to be moved to 1B as quickly as possible, but he's blocked now by Votto. Griffey is not tradeable and is blocking Bruce's entry. And they still don't have a true center fielder, though Hamilton does pretty well for a RF transplant.