Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

Old 09-18-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Re: 75/150 vs HOWMANY not telling you anybody\'s hands

Bob, have you really never heard of the concept of "suspension of disbelief?"

It means ignoring the cynical part of you that doubts the veracity of what's going on. Used most often to refer to movie and TV audiences. E.g., what we do when we enjoy The Terminator and think to ourselves "okay I guess that makes sense; it could happen."

Mike is saying that the same goes for living in a world where Death Donkey folds a pair.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It means ignoring the cynical part of you that doubts the veracity of what's going on. Used most often to refer to movie and TV audiences. E.g., what we do when we enjoy The Terminator and think to ourselves "okay I guess that makes sense; it could happen."

Mike is saying that the same goes for living in a world where Death Donkey folds a pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

never heard of it. thanks for clearing it up.

i agree that there likely is such an element of distrust here that neither will fold anything ever.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

never heard of it. thanks for clearing it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief
Old 09-18-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Brenda

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Huh? OMFG, you have her in your little private 75 game? WTF is going on? Was this played at Oceans? We can't let you guys bust all the fish alone.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:31 PM

Well personally I think every hand I play is completely boring and unpostable but I make an effort to find one when I do happen to play live especially with another tough 2+2er where there might be a chance for interesting situations. I also find very limit merit anymore in just showing a hand and saying what I did and asking for comments, because I'll probably have some sort of personal read that supercedes any criticisms or just be too stubborn to change my ways at this point, so I think posts with questions like these actually are the only way to use the hand as a learning tool rather than as just a standard hand post.

But that's fine, everyone has their opinion, and if its a spew and silly to post no problem, I don't worry if a hand post isn't great, I'll still post more until someone tells me not to. I do think Mike L. that you shouldn't ruin a useful learning hand with your cynicism. I know its not that useful to you but I think there are some good things to take from this hand.

The biggest thing to take is basically what Justin A. said, that his river actions are not very credible. People saying they would fold two pair here etc. really need to never play a creative LAG because it would just be disastrous to fold something that good here, when his river action doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I give HOWMANY a lot of credit for the 3 bet bluff (should be obvious at this point I guess) because he did it quickly and decisively but I'd already decided I was showing down because I disguised my hand preflop.

Michael Davis suggested to me over AIM I should call the river 3 bet with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] which I agree with.

Anyway I had A6o and when he tanked on the river I thought he had KQ most likely and was determining if he had a value bet, so I value CRed, his 3 bet surprised me but confused me so I called which I usually do when things confuse me and he had T9o which he played fine except he made a big mistake thinking I couldn't hold an ace.

-DeathDonkey
Old 09-18-2007, 08:34 PM

"so, if we suspend DISbelief, doesn't that mean we then believe everything? "

basically. it's a very common film theory term. like film 101. when we watch a movie we suspend our dibelief in order to enjoy the film. i think sean and chris do that when they play a hand against each other. chris has the ability of tricking his opponents into thinking that way.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:42 PM

"I do think Mike L. that you shouldn't ruin a useful learning hand with your cynicism."

to my credit it wasnt just cycnicism that made me poop on your thread. there was a good deal of laziness involved too.

seriously though the hands you told about me on the phone where you levelled him would explain why he was forced into feeling the need to play so desperately and spewy against you. it's becauase of this that we all agree you are a mid limit genius, it'd be sweet if you could focus that and mold it into some white chip riches.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:20 PM

so, you c/red the river hoping to induce a 3bet bluff?
Old 09-18-2007, 10:30 PM

Is this a trick Bob? I realized there is no reason for him to tank for 10 seconds to value bet a hand that beats me so I checkraised hoping he called me so I could win more dollars.

-DeathDonkey
Old 09-18-2007, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a trick Bob? I realized there is no reason for him to tank for 10 seconds to value bet a hand that beats me so I checkraised hoping he called me so I could win more dollars.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

but if you think he shouldnt have to pause before he vaule bets, that means he is FOS and cannot call your c/r. but he CAN 3bone you with his shitbox. am i wrong here?

wait.....you thought he was going to call you with a worse hand?!?!?!?!