Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 07:22 AM

Default Best Combat Movies

I'm not a huge "war movie" guy, but I do like the good combat films (any era). My fav since it came out is "Black Hawk Down" because it's sort of real time (or at least feels that way) and seems to depict the real events pretty accurately. I saw a news special about the operation that featured a few interviews with the guys that were involved with that rediculous mission and they seemed to think it was pretty accurate as far as the actual events were concerned.

Anyway, I'm looking for more "really good" combat movies. What's your favorite?

Oh yeah, I've seen all of the "Band of Brothers" episodes a few times already. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Highly recommended...
Old 02-07-2007, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Best Combat Movies

I'm a big fan of We Were Soldiers. It's supposed to be an accurate retelling of the story, and the book was written by the journalist, and the person Mel Gibson is playing.

That's the only one that's coming to me right now, maybe I can think of some more after I have some coffee.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:17 PM

Black Hawk Down is one of the best 'combat' films out there. It had two advisors who were involved in the battle and it had approval from the US Gov. to use military machinery.

It's based off a book by the same name that was widely considered to be wholly accurate, and he helped with the screenplay.

We Were Soldiers is another movie that is very accurate, but it falters in a few moments with some serious cheese. As a whole, it's still very well produced and takes great pains for accuracy. And Sam Elliot owns.

Black Hawk Down is my all-time favorite combat film (tough to say it's a war movie) because it's so to the point and doesn't delve into war cliche or jingoism. Plus the commentary track by the delta and ranger soldiers on the deluxe edition is worth the price of the dvd.

Paths of Glory is a great movie, especially considering the fact its half a century old. Dialogue gets kinda over the top, but still an amazing movie for its time and still highly enjoyable.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:36 PM

I'm not really into war movies, but I also enjoyed Band of Brothers, Black Hawk down and Platoon. Full Metal Jacket was interesting.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:42 PM

I've bashed Saving Private Ryan on here in the past, but the battle sequences are excellent. The beach assault is great filmmaking.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:20 PM

Yes the first 10 or 20 minutes or whatever of Private Ryan were awesome. The guy going back for his arm for instance. Movie went downhill pretty quickly after that though. Much like Idiocracy.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:36 PM

I'd go

1. BHD
2. FMJ
3. Jarhead
4. Band of Brothers
Old 02-07-2007, 08:15 PM

SPH
Glory (Civil War)
BHD
Band of Brothers
Old 02-07-2007, 08:23 PM

Braveheart
Gallipoli
Old 02-07-2007, 09:44 PM

Sam Fuller's The Big Red One, The Reconstruction is superb. Also, the DVD's extras include an interview with Fuller's cigar-chomping daughter!