Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Re: My First Horrible Beat

McGrain:

This isn't meant as a flame to you, but rather some food for thought.

First, yeah, it sucks when this happens. However, it will happen all the time. Your beat was bad, but I think everyone here has gotten hit by runner-runner coming through. It happens -- a lot (I've probably done it to other players once or twice myself).

Second -- You got all your chips in with the best hand. That's all you can do in poker. Take solice in the fact that you made the right play.

Third -- And I only mention this because you said it's your first horrible beat, and this is a beginner's forum. Winning poker players get sucked out on. Losing Poker players suck out. If you're winning most of your pots by hitting the miracle card on the river, you have to rethink your game.

Fourth -- So, the chip leader commits a significant part of her stack against an all-in bet, holding an Ace with a weak Kicker and a runner-runner flush draw. It was a horrible call that panned out. You want to play with players like this.

Fifth. Ok, many of us get distracted when the chips we've mentally pushed into our stacks get cruelly stripped from us. If it's affecting your game, get up from the table, sounds like a good time for a bathroom break (especially since you've busted from the tourney). If you're still steaming, maybe it's time for lunch. Ok, it's your first time getting hit like this, maybe time to go home and take some time away from the table.

Finally, if you can't get over this, maybe Poker isn't for you. As I've said, bad beats are a part of the game. Good players get hit more than bad players. So get used to it or don't play.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:32 PM

Nice post Ken. Good advice for us all. Cheers.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice post Ken. Good advice for us all. Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. If the intellectual property belonged to me, I would copy/paste it verbatim into every bad beat post on this forum.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:53 PM

If you think this is a bad beat, you obviously have not been playing long enough.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
McGrain:

This isn't meant as a flame to you, but rather some food for thought.

First, yeah, it sucks when this happens. However, it will happen all the time. Your beat was bad, but I think everyone here has gotten hit by runner-runner coming through. It happens -- a lot (I've probably done it to other players once or twice myself).

Second -- You got all your chips in with the best hand. That's all you can do in poker. Take solice in the fact that you made the right play.

Third -- And I only mention this because you said it's your first horrible beat, and this is a beginner's forum. Winning poker players get sucked out on. Losing Poker players suck out. If you're winning most of your pots by hitting the miracle card on the river, you have to rethink your game.

Fourth -- So, the chip leader commits a significant part of her stack against an all-in bet, holding an Ace with a weak Kicker and a runner-runner flush draw. It was a horrible call that panned out. You want to play with players like this.

Fifth. Ok, many of us get distracted when the chips we've mentally pushed into our stacks get cruelly stripped from us. If it's affecting your game, get up from the table, sounds like a good time for a bathroom break (especially since you've busted from the tourney). If you're still steaming, maybe it's time for lunch. Ok, it's your first time getting hit like this, maybe time to go home and take some time away from the table.

Finally, if you can't get over this, maybe Poker isn't for you. As I've said, bad beats are a part of the game. Good players get hit more than bad players. So get used to it or don't play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't feel flamed at all, i asked for advice knowing that most of the people replying would be ten times more experienced than me and that many would think it was a daft post. I like this advice.

I try to play tight aggressive, or at least that's how i want to play and after this beat I've found it hard to push my good hands to the max possible, but i've been better and you're advice has helped, so thanks.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you think this is a bad beat, you obviously have not been playing long enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean that this bad beat is a normal thing, or do you mean that i'm actually wrong to describe it as a bad beat? The reason i've called it a horrible beat is on account of the cirumstances - i had been placing consistantly in cheap online tournaments but had never made a final table and was very close in 2nd place for chips and seemed to have voodoo over the leader. Stinger!
Old 04-19-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean that this bad beat is a normal thing, or do you mean that i'm actually wrong to describe it as a bad beat? The reason i've called it a horrible beat is on account of the cirumstances - i had been placing consistantly in cheap online tournaments but had never made a final table and was very close in 2nd place for chips and seemed to have voodoo over the leader. Stinger!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the beat sucks, but it was just a run of the mill bad beat. You probably haven't been playing thatlong. Wait until you flop quads and lose when someone catches perfect perfect to beat your quads. But like someone said, don't get mad if you are all in w/ the best of it. Nothing is 100%, it were it wouldn't be gambling.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:47 PM

yeah this happens to me at least 1 a week
Old 04-19-2007, 06:03 PM

happens every tournament lately....keep on pluggin' away.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:03 PM

I'll use the other guys number since I am too lazy to look it up. Chip leader had a 4% chance of winning.

As a rule of thumb, I usually figure that I will need to win 5-6 hands where I am all-in in order to win a tourney. In other words, you should experience a beat like this, or worse, once every 5 tourneys you play. If this impacts your game, then find a way to understand that it is an expected part of poker.

My own worst run-in with variance was when I lost 4 consecutive hands where I flopped top set. That impacted my game, I went on tilt and proceeded to lose $500 at a $4/$8 limit game, hated myself in the morning, etc, etc, etc.

Here's what worked for me - I just rationalized that live poker must be rigged and played exclusively on-line for the next month. By the time I played live again, I had calmed down. YMMV.