Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Cooking tips requested: Steaks (no grill)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd go about 90 seconds on the first side, 30 on the second

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised you cook 1/3 as long on the second side. The pan's lost a lot of heat after searing the first side (even if it's cast-iron), so I'd think you'd want it about the same length on the other side.

[/ QUOTE ]

...this (these) steak(s) are being finished in the oven under this time scenario. In the oven, the second side will still be in contact with the still hot bottom side of the cast iron pan. I've found that an unbalanced stove top formula works best though I could be off with my estimates. I'm not a recipe person and I rarely do things the same way twice. Feel welcome to insert your best judgment. (Side note: I pan broil chicken similarly.)

For the shallot and mushroom set, I really like to mince the bejesus out of the shallots and something like a brown crimini mushroom. After the steaks come out, I throw in a big pat of butter, let the shallot and shrooms go and then reduce it all with port. A secret ingredient here is to add a splash of cassis (black currant) liquer. If you've serving a Cab. or bourdeaux with the steak, that tiny hint of the black currant really plays well with the wine.