Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 12:50 AM

Default Stars $22: spewy in BvB

Ugh, this was spewy... please berate my play, but be specific and tell me a better way

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG (t3180)
MP (t2716)
Button (t3694)
Hero (t2235)
BB (t1675)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t400</font>, BB calls t300.

Flop: (t800) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t1200</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t2000
Old 11-23-2007, 12:56 AM

Default Re: Stars $22: spewy in BvB

I find opponents defending or restealing light bvb in these spots and often limp and 'fake' cbet, as they are likely to whiff alot of flops, and bet back at you with a range similar to the range they might have resisted your range with in the first place. It lowers the amount of your chips you have to risk, but the reward stays consistent

If you must raise pf, 4x is a little excessive - would you be making it 400 with JJ+? AK? Would 250 not accomplish the same thing if he had a trash hand?
Old 11-23-2007, 01:38 AM

Fold preflop
Old 11-23-2007, 05:47 AM

Indeed, just to reiterate what was previously stated, fold preflop or raise to 250-300. On flop lead out for about 300, fold if raised. If he calls and you don't improve probably check-fold turn, possibly check-call a tiny bet on the river if the hand gets that far, but 'meh'. As played the pot gets to be way too big for your hand.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:54 AM

I would fold pf , mayyyyyyyyybe complete against a very passive opponent.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:42 AM

i agree with folding preflop as this hand is not good in this situation as we re not deep stacked for implied odds or sth any king or ace is better here imo. against passive players i like a small maybe even minraise and i continue rather passive on the flop if called and i dont hit. against good and decently aggressive players i fold very much here preflop.

and btw as played you have to call imo with 600 for a pot of 3200. really bad fold.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:46 PM

What was the objective of the PF raise and your plan if called/reraised?

Not withstanding Villian's reads on YOUR play...(and no reads on villian) lets assume straight up play

Obviously its a steal (from your perspective), so you should size your bet so it "looks" like a standard bet. In this case 250 is standard (2.5 X BB), as many have suggested in this thread. That way your cbet looks legitimate such as a connected J. As said previously with 250 your raise is smaller, your cbet smaller, therefore less damage if you need to fold to the resteal OR if you are truly beaten.

As played it "looks" to villian like an overraise/steal attempt with garbage, and i'm suprised the short stacked villian did'nt jam.

Unless I have a very tight image I fold here preflop. If villian was loose/passive, a limp and check it down may work, as RexWoo indicated. If he was tight/passive your steal likley would have worked.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:01 PM

I think ths is a good hand to limp in and see how he reacts.
I generally dont like to complete sb's, but you have a playable hand that wouldnt mind just seeing a cheap flop (esp. being oop)
Old 11-23-2007, 10:51 PM

Basically there are two ways for me to play this.
a) Fold pf
b) complete, minbet any flop
Depending on villain's aggression.

I hate raising, BB is pretty short and people love to get superaggro then in a raised BvB pot..
You just don't wanna be in there with such a marginal holding.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:37 PM

I would usually just fold pre unless I think BB is a tight multitabler. It's just an awful spot with this hand and these stacks, here you hit a great flop for your hand and you still can't stand any heat. Limp/minbet is something to experiment with but that's a highly exploitable play. I hate the sb with 20bb stacks.