Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Ask me about being a religious jew

What is your school of thought regarding the Mossiach?
Old 08-29-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is your school of thought regarding the Mossiach?

[/ QUOTE ]
I truly believe he will come one day.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:00 PM

Do you see the establishment of the state of Israel a miraculous event, a fulfillment of prophecy?

As I understand it, in the Torah the sins of the people were dealt with on the one day a year when the high priest entered the Holy of Holies in the temple. Since there is no longer a temple, is their a modern day practice in Judaism to cover or remove sin from individuals? If yes, what is it. If not, then why was it required then but not now?

Do you believe the temple will be rebuilt? If yes, do you have any belief as to the time frame when that might happen?

There are numerous times in what christians call the Old Testament, when it's said that God's spirit was upon a person, (David for example.) Do you believe that there are people who experience this today? If yes, is it something you or anyone you know has experienced? Or do you see it as a unique rare occurrence that only happens today to individuals with a high calling and purpose from God?

Some of the stories of the prophets are amazing; Elijah calling down fire from heaven, Ezekiel building a model of Jerusalem and laying on his left side for 390 days for Israel, on his right side forty days for Judah, etc. Do you believe these events literally happened?

Do prophets exist today? If not, why not?

These prophets had a personal relationship with a living God. Does that happen in Judaism today? Why or why not? What if you personally were clearly called to live the life of a prophet today? Should anyone today desire to prophesize? Why or why not?

Hmm. I may have gotten carried away. Let me close by saying I have the greatest respect for what I perceive as the reverence for God in the religious Jewish community.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:04 PM

Man, I've lived in Israel all my life and I don't have the slightest idea where Nof Ayalon is. Is it inside the green line?

I kinda skipped thru the thread, are you a "Kipa Sruga"?

I guess I can open a thread about being a secular jew in Israel [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do prophets exist today? If not, why not?

These prophets had a personal relationship with a living God. Does that happen in Judaism today? Why or why not? What if you personally were clearly called to live the life of a prophet today? Should anyone today desire to prophesize? Why or why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually quite interested in these answers. As a secular jew in Israel, we might even be less educated than Jews abroad. I always figured that if "they" (religous jews) are right in their beliefs, there are probably like hundos of prophets locked up in mental hospitels around the country.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I can open a thread about being a secular jew in Israel [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a great idea
Old 08-29-2007, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have heard a rabbi describe Judaism as being both a race and a religion. On the other hand, when I posed the question to a Jewish friend of mine, he was very offended. I mean no offense and am just curious, is there an official position?

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't understand why he would be offended.
The Bible refers to us as "Am Yisrael" = "The People of Israel".

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that a less religious and perhaps non-Israeli might be more likely to be offended. If one looks at opinions regarding Jew during the Enlightenment, a big dispute was whether they should be given citizenship or be considered a separate nation. A Jew in France or America might be offended at the suggestion that he could not be a full citizen, say, because he is part of another nation.

Perhaps more bluntly, if you hate Jews but think they are a religion, you force them to convert; if you hate Jews but think they are a race, you kill them. theblitz: if someone born a Jew converted to another religion, would they still be a Jew?

And another question: if a secular Jew came to you saying that he/she wanted to believe in the religion but currently did not, where would you have him/her start, that is, what would you advise this person do/read/etc. I guess this is a generic 'how do you find faith' sort of question, but I was wondering if there was a distinctly Jewish twist.

Excellent thread so far, thanks.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you believe the temple will be rebuilt? If yes, do you have any belief as to the time frame when that might happen?

[/ QUOTE ]
Does this refer to a literal rebuilding? If so, why hasn't this happened?
Old 08-30-2007, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Does this refer to a literal rebuilding? If so, why hasn't this happened?

[/ QUOTE ]

ill take a stab at this one (pls correct me if needed). the 3rd and final time the temple will be rebuilt is only when Moshiach will come (as well as it will be one of the signs he is the "true" Moshiach)
Old 08-30-2007, 01:21 AM

How do you feel about some jewish organizations in the US (and I imagine abroad) equating judaism with Israel, i.e. the modern state of Israel?

I would also be interested in the "ask me about being a secular jew in Israel" therad.