Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 11:53 PM

Default Trying to balance this position and stack size stuff on the bubble

Bubble of a 4.4/180. I’m playing 18/13/3. Wouldn’t mind opening up more in LP, but opportunities haven’t been there. Table is playing generally tight with few resteals, but BB is abusing the bubble with his stack.

Hero (9111 in chips)
MP (7223 in chips)
CO (9762 in chips)
BU(3709 in chips)
SB (20203 in chips)
BB (29273 in chips)

Blinds 300/600/50, Hero is UTG with 22.

Hero???
Old 10-06-2007, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Trying to balance this position and stack size stuff on the bubble

Could fold.

I'd probably bump it 1500 and call a shove from the Button (obv) and fold to anyone else.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:19 AM

I think 22 is shove or fold. If you make it 1500, BB is going to push either pre flop or on the flop. With the table playing tight, you probably have enough folding equity to make shoving profitable. If the table (or even just the BB) is loose, I would fold 22 here and push with my next A.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think 22 is shove or fold. If you make it 1500, BB is going to push either pre flop or on the flop. With the table playing tight, you probably have enough folding equity to make shoving profitable. If the table (or even just the BB) is loose, I would fold 22 here and push with my next A.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think you have to either shove or fold here... i really like shermans plan of bumping it to 1500, i think the majority of the time you take down the pit right there, and if the button pushes you flip for a decent pot... if you get repoped by anyone else, it sucks to lose that 1500, but its not devasting, and i dont really think you should calling all in with 22 unless you think you're really, really overmatched in the tourney
Old 10-07-2007, 01:00 PM

with your M=7,5 this is a push/fold decision - with 5 to act behind I fold.

I'd push 22 on the button, and from the CO if the table is tight.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
with your M=7,5 this is a push/fold decision

[/ QUOTE ]
I strongly disagree. Who says that, and what's the logic behind it?

With 15BB (11.5 BB if you apply Bonds "effective BB" concept) you still have room to see a flop with chips behind.

Not that I'd do it with 22 from UTG, which in effect would be a bluff - you're behind or flipping against any calling hand.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
with your M=7,5 this is a push/fold decision

[/ QUOTE ]
I strongly disagree. Who says that, and what's the logic behind it?

With 15BB (11.5 BB if you apply Bonds "effective BB" concept) you still have room to see a flop with chips behind.

Not that I'd do it with 22 from UTG, which in effect would be a bluff - you're behind or flipping against any calling hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's exactly what i meant - 22 from UTG is a clear fold for me.

there are some sort of hands, which i have absolutely no problem with pushing here with M=7,5 (or effective 11,5BB) - depending on the table i'd push some of the medium PP for example or AT,AJ.

seeing a flop with M=7,5 is very difficult - cause at this stage you cannot limp - specially not in EP. and for raising 2,5BB you need a hand that can call a 3-bet. if you reread bond's thread this is exactly what he says with stack sizes over 14BB - with 11,5BB you are in the open push range IMO.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:21 PM

AJ & AT are hands I'm sooo not happy about pushing UTG here.

Nobody is going to call with a hand that not either a favorite or have you dominated.

It can def. be argued that it's exploitable, but with these hands - and conceivably low/medium pairs like 55 thru 88 - I would probably do the 2.5BB rse, call the button's push, play the flop if I'm called and fold to everything else ... still with a playable stack behind.

I believe it's way to mechanical thinking to say push-or-fold at this point.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AJ & AT are hands I'm sooo not happy about pushing UTG here.

Nobody is going to call with a hand that not either a favorite or have you dominated.

It can def. be argued that it's exploitable, but with these hands - and conceivably low/medium pairs like 55 thru 88 - I would probably do the 2.5BB rse, call the button's push, play the flop if I'm called and fold to everything else ... still with a playable stack behind.

I believe it's way to mechanical thinking to say push-or-fold at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I would agree at this particular table, but in general, I've seen a lot of calls in situations like this with A8-A9, KQ, even QJ. In fact, I folded the twos and went on to the final table, finally losing in fourth with A6<QJ (shoving my A6 UTG with similar relative stack sizes).
Old 10-07-2007, 02:58 PM

Here's how I play utg with this stack size:

First off, if I raise, I'm getting it in pf or on the flop. If I raise, it's a pot committing raise, with the hands I raise with I raise to 3k.

My range is: AT+, 66+. What that does is:

Make my flop decision easier, the pot and my stack will both be about 6k so I'm shoving any flop.

Get some action from weaker hands I have dominated, yes idiot 4.4 players will call a big raise with Ax, Kx. I want them to call with A5 when I have AQ.

Keeps you from flipping vs an idiot player who calls your AT ai with 33. If you raise to 3k, that 33 doesn't look so good and you give villain 2 opportunities to fold, pf and on the flop, which you may or may not have the best hand, thus giving a player a chance to make a mistake.

btw, this is copied from one of sherman's posts.

22 is too weak for this stack size. If I was much shorter I would shove, if I had a big stack I might make a standard raise.