Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 05:51 PM

Default stopping when ahead?

I have an annoying urge to stop when Im ahead, especially when its quite a bit. Though obviously this isnt as bad as it sounds, it isnt sensible. Say I have 3 spare hours to play multitable cash games- If im up say 2 or 3 max buy ins after one hour then i feel like i want to stop. Because of this my hourly average is massive, but only because i only play a couple of hours at a time. When i do try to keep playing i never seem to make any more, and sometimes lose some of it. If I could maintain my hourly rate over 4 or 5 hours I would be a happy man, but for some reason I cant. I dont think its a concentration issue, more I dont want to lose what ive earned. This doesnt effect me when i sit down to start, and i feel compelled to keep playing if im behind.

Anyone else have this issue?
Old 08-06-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Re: stopping when ahead?

i have a similar issue lately. i play well for the first 100 hands or so. usually double or triple my buy in. then from ther on its just downhill. and its all usually on one stupid hand where i have a kind of blow up. i tell myself every time i wont do it again and that i will stay focused but i never do!

is there any way to just get some discipline overnight? lol.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:54 PM

i also have this problem... i normall just take the money off the table and sit at another as i stop playing my game and convert to a tight passive who dusnt want to lose any chips...
my best advice that works for me is take the money off the table and sit at another, although you may get off an excellent table your play will improve..
Old 08-07-2007, 04:58 PM

I used to but I have found that if you do that your loosing out on potential earnings. If theres people you can win money off at your table you should keep trying to play until either they have gone or you start to play poorly.
It's fine to leave a table if most of the players are sharks and everyone is very deep.
You should get into the mentality of seeing poker as one life long session rather then focusing on any particular one.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:54 PM

This is not a problem! Its called hit and run, and its how I make a lot of money on line. If you still feel like playing after a big win or two, just cash out and hit another table. You will allways feel like you could have won more, but this is a feeling that leads to becoming a looser.
Take the money and run!
Old 08-08-2007, 01:12 PM

Aaokwitme, that's a mindset of a gambler. When you play poker there's a lot of skill involved so when you trhink you have a big edge on some players at the table, you're a losing player by leaving a table.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:49 AM

If you feel you have an edge over your opponents, having a big stack increases this edge. First of all, it's intimidating, and being an intimidating figure at a poker table is usually a good thing. Also, if there are other deepstacks at the table, you have them covered, and thus you're playing inferior opponents with deeper stacks. This increases the amount of and importance of each decision made, thus increasing your edge more. However, if you are uncomfortable playing 300-1000 bb's deep, you obv don't have this edge, and should leave the table. If this is the case, i would recommend playing some meaningless (lower) stakes to practice playing deepstacked. Deepstacked nlhe is way more interesting and also more fun than playing 100bb's deep, so I'd recommend getting comfortable with it.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:38 PM

you should probably just quit while your ahead...or behind
Old 08-09-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have an annoying urge to stop when Im ahead, especially when its quite a bit. Though obviously this isnt as bad as it sounds, it isnt sensible. Say I have 3 spare hours to play multitable cash games- If im up say 2 or 3 max buy ins after one hour then i feel like i want to stop. Because of this my hourly average is massive, but only because i only play a couple of hours at a time. When i do try to keep playing i never seem to make any more, and sometimes lose some of it. If I could maintain my hourly rate over 4 or 5 hours I would be a happy man, but for some reason I cant. I dont think its a concentration issue, more I dont want to lose what ive earned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Barry Greenstein recommends quitting when you have lost some back - gets you used to the feeling. Try doing that on purpose.

Concentration: might be that - recheck, you use more energy in terms of calories with high-mental-focus activities than jogging. Your blood sugar can get pretty low, it leads to errors in judgement - impatience, all that stuff we like to think we aren't doing. Try stopping, maybe just sit out for a bit. Have something decent to eat - some protein and complex carbs (like a turkey sandwich on whole wheat) and then go back in twenty minutes.

Or, separate your sessions into morning and late afternoon or whatever. Go do something physical and mindless. Have some fun.

You're going to get back whatever you might lose, anyway. Why worry?
Old 08-09-2007, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Aaokwitme, that's a mindset of a gambler. When you play poker there's a lot of skill involved so when you trhink you have a big edge on some players at the table, you're a losing player by leaving a table.

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome 2nd post,

I liked the greenstein thing too.

I used to run my money up to 300 BB and then spew 100BB back or so all the time. I just rathole the cash now unless there is a huge fish in which case I just try to get all the money.

Why don't you set yourself stop losses/wins when you reach these go for a walk play a video game w/e and come back an hour later fresh to pwn again.

Gl