FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Quick Home Game Report - Season Standings in Shambles

Texas No-Limit Hold'em

$10+$2 = T800 Chips
$3 Add-on = T200
No Rebuy or Addon
10 Minute Blinds

10 to 16 Home Players - Average to Novice and we're all friends, coworkers and family.

- Payouts -
1st=10pts %50
2nd=7pts %30
3rd=5pts %20
4th=3pts
5th=1pt

We started back in January and I made the mistake of not counting all of our games we've played this year towards the year-end TOC. Anyhow, there are players now complaining that they should be on the top ten points leader board. We (the group of us) initially agreed that certain games would count in the point standings but now, as of last weekend, all games will be counted towards the leader board.

Well after last weekend, some of the loosing crowd are still complaining because they haven't moved up in the standings. Another words, they didn't finish in the top five to achieve points nor did they finished in the money.

One of the main gripes is that we don't have rebuys or some other means to keep the "fish" swimming and new comers coming back.

In my weekly email to everyone, I've tried to promote a rebuy to be allowed within the first two blind levels only, and you don't have to bust-out to get it. After the third level has started, you can't rebuy.

Also, I'm trying to promote a "Bounty" chip for $5 but that's hasn't excited anyone either. As you can see, I'm not trying to break anyone's bank with the buy-in amount. I'm just trying to make sure everyone plays and has a good time for a little amount of $. I guess you can't make evreyone happy all the time.

The format above seems to play well with most everyone. In the first game of the night, we had one player stack two other players and triple-up but go on to finish out of the money and points, and naturally, he was one of the players to complain about not having a rebuy.

We ended up playing three games total. Started at 8:00pm and finished at about 3:00am. As for my play, well let's just say I did manage to finish with points but no money , again, for the third session in a row. No notable hands I can remember because I only had three playable hands the whole night which I won, but with-out a showdown. Other than that I was extremely card dead.

We did get to play with my new Modiano Cristallo Plastic playing cards and they are very nice. I ordered from Caragails.com and was pleasantly impressed with the shipping time frame and overall price ($17.95 Total). I highly recommend purchasing plastic playing cards if you're serious about your home game tourneys.

Our league has three players which consistantly finish in the top five and/or cash for the night. Two of the players are very good/solid and the other has truly been lucky with his draws. He's a player that will get really really close and cosey with his TPTK and everyone is licking their chops to crack him however, everyone that has tried usually ends up on the loosing end of the deal.

My only dealing with him this past weekend was when I flopped top two (K,J) and push all-in after the trashy turn knowing he had a smaller pair (10,10). The river has been this guys best friend and naturally the case 10 comes and I'm shaking my head in total shock for remainder of the game (short stack naturally).

Our next game(s) is in two weeks. My points are in the middle of the pack, but my win/loss for $'s is near the bottom. I'm not totally sure how it's happening but I think my game tends to get way eratic while trying to host these events due to lack of concentration. I'm really going to experiment in late position this coming week with connector cards (suited or not) and small pocket pairs and another person will be responsible for charting players outcomes and finishes. I love hosting the games, but I'd like a little piece of the pie every now and again.

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2007, 04:06 AM

Default Re: Quick Home Game Report - Season Standings in Shambles

[ QUOTE ]
We started back in January and I made the mistake of not counting all of our games we've played this year towards the year-end TOC.

[/ QUOTE ]

The damage has been done for this season. Just get everyone in the same room and discuss a way to resolve it and side, if you can, with the majority. You messed up and should apologize and promise this won't happen again next season.

As for next season, set the dates for the whole season in advance. Mine is 3rd Saturday of every month. No games in between count for diddly squat towards the league. Next, get a blog and post results for that week/month/whatever and current standings immediately after the game. This will let everyone know where they're at so there are no stupid surprises like this season.

Get your planning together and this can be a fun thing. I know mine has almost 40 regular players and is the highlight of the month.

Good luck.

Onaflag..........
Old 05-22-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We started back in January and I made the mistake of not counting all of our games we've played this year towards the year-end TOC.

[/ QUOTE ]

The damage has been done for this season. Just get everyone in the same room and discuss a way to resolve it and side, if you can, with the majority. You messed up and should apologize and promise this won't happen again next season.

As for next season, set the dates for the whole season in advance. Mine is 3rd Saturday of every month. No games in between count for diddly squat towards the league. Next, get a blog and post results for that week/month/whatever and current standings immediately after the game. This will let everyone know where they're at so there are no stupid surprises like this season.

Get your planning together and this can be a fun thing. I know mine has almost 40 regular players and is the highlight of the month.

Good luck.

Onaflag..........

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree 100%. I'm in my 3rd league season and you have to be consistent with your league nights and season structure. Everyone must know and agree to everything before the season begins...no surprises.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:11 PM

There have been no surprises. Everyone knew which games where going to be counted towards the TOC.

It was voted last gaming session to include all tournament style games from this month forward.

The ones that are complaining are the ones that are not in the point standings. The next few games we are introducing "bounty chips" and more re-buys. This should temper the tank a little while longer.

I'll be sure to post a report after the games are played.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:29 PM

Nice report.

I echo that you certainly can not please everyone at your game. We're getting near 20 every time and the skill level of newer players is higher than our previous average.

We've lost one player due to the more 'aggressive' game that she doesn't like.

That's a loss we're happy to take since there are five more to replace her who are happy with how things are run.

Good luck with your group. It's always a challenge trying to balance something well run by the rules and not making it feel serious for the fish at the same time.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

$10+$2 = T800 Chips

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I love hosting the games, but I'd like a little piece of the pie every now and again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks to me like you already are getting a piece of the pie from each player. Why rake on a $15 home tourney? Seems petty to me (not saying this is truly a rake, but many do). Do you provide a service for this $2 or the $$ is going to the end of year tourney like your TOC?
Old 05-27-2007, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you provide a service for this $2 or the $$ is going to the end of year tourney like your TOC?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the $2 goes back into the end of the year TOC. Also, all members have agreed to spend some of the money on stuff for the game (ie. new plastic playing cards, snacks, beverages, etc...) I contribute just like everyone else even though it's my house they are all plying at. None of the money is ever used for anything else with-out the consensus of the rest of the group. It's a "shared expenses" fund.