Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 03:52 PM

Default BB turns into top two on river (10/180)

Early, and Villain just got moved to my table, so no reads, but I don't think it's crazy to assume that he got his chips from the loose play that's standard in these things. The turn was pretty gross, and I mostly wanted to give up, but the combination of his check plus a seemingly good river card caused me to think I could get value with a bet. Anyway, comments on all streets appreciated. (My first OP in this forum, but don't be gentle.)

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (8 handed) internettexasholdem.com

SB (t620)
Hero (t1640)
UTG (t860)
UTG+1 (t3320)
MP1 (t1470)
MP2 (t1470)
CO (t2670)
Button (t1450)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t20, UTG+1 calls t20, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls t20, Button calls t20, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t120) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t120</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t120, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds.

Turn: (t360) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.

River: (t360) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t120</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t500</font>, Hero ???

EDIT: removed results (and fixed title), but I'm really asking about more than just the river.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:00 PM

Default Re: BB turns into top two on river (10/180)

I think you have him beat here. Easy call. I wouldn't raise because I'm still a little scare of the flush and if he raises you back you're committed to all your chips.

As I read, he caught a card on the flop, maybe with a heart and thought you were going to steal; had king kicker just like you. Wanted to draw to his flush/sees two pair and things he has you snagged.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:05 PM

Your read says you can call, easily.

But actually, your read is meaningless since you are assuming he played loose due to chip stack size. He could just as easily be a nit that hit AA, or a random player that caught a good hand.

So, READLESS, he value bet the river on your ass and you fold and wait for better situaitons.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your read says you can call, easily.

But actually, your read is meaningless since you are assuming he played loose due to chip stack size. He could just as easily be a nit that hit AA, or a random player that caught a good hand.

So, READLESS, he value bet the river on your ass and you fold and wait for better situaitons.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I count "a random player that caught a good hand" as a bad, loose player, and that's all I was saying. If you see someone with a bunch of chips after just a few minutes, sure it's possible that he picked up AA vs KK, but it's much much more likely that he put a lot of chips in the pot in at least one marginal situation. I wasn't exactly meaning for that line in my OP to be a strong reason for me to call the river, which I see as a pretty bad play most of the time, anyway.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:30 PM

I honestly dont like the flop bet. It is a multiway pot and you are out of position and you are deep so I'd rather not get involved here. Now it is very likely that villain has called with flush draw on the flop and got there on the turn but checked to get one more bet on the river. I cant see him doing it with any other random 2 pair.
As played I would probably just check/call the river because I hate to get raised like this when there is flush on the board. I cant see how we can call his raise here b/c he has flush most of the time.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:35 PM

Yeah, I usually don't lead flop like this in a multiway pot. BUT, there's really no possible two-pair hand I could be up against, and I thought the most likely calling hands were a worse 8 or a flush draw, which would be pretty good value for me and way better than checking.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:40 PM

Honestly, I bet river planning to fold easily to a shove, but this raise gave me okay odds to call and made me think he might just have a K after floating flop with two overs or 35 or something similarly dumb.