Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 05:13 AM

Default 109r 13 players left with BigStack

109+rebuy at Stars. 11 players left and only 5 players at my table.

The bubble was at 18 players and it has been a pretty wild after that with plenty of all in action and 3 bet-pushes. I had over 240k chips a couple of orbits ago, but have had to fold a lot and I am down to 184k.

SB (90k chips) is a very good player, seen 3-betting quite a lot.
BB (83k chips) is very tight.

I was dealt A8s in the Button. As BB was very tight, I thought that SB (90k) was a very good player and could just +cEV 3-bet push all in a big range easily.

I thought I couldn't just 2,5xBB and fold to a 3 bet here as the SB/BB had perfect stacks to push me off my hand and A8s has OK showdown value. It would have been +cEV just to push here, and I made it 6xBB to show I am committed.

Standard?

Poker Stars, $100 + $9 NL Hold'em Tournament, 2,500/5,000/500 Blinds, 5 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

Hero (BTN): 184,623
SB: 90,786
BB: 83,674
UTG: 89,466
CO: 144,624

Pre-Flop: (10,000) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BTN)
2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to 30,000</font>[/i]
Old 10-14-2007, 05:44 AM

Default Re: 109r 13 players left with BigStack

Given reads:

Make your standard raise (2.5-3BBs), call SB's shove, fold to BBs shove.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:49 AM

I don't think a 6x raise is terrible here although alot of players would probably flame. However, if either of them get it in you are forced to call vs. an extremely tight range that you probably have 30 percent equity versus. This play seems scared... I would rather do my usual button raise and snap call the more agro player while folding to the bb.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Given reads:

Make your standard raise (2.5-3BBs), call SB's shove, fold to BBs shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good line and will next time probably do this . This is probably more +cEV as well.

There are 2xBB in the pot before any action occurs. The blinds both have M of just around 4.5 and I am about 10. The blind are eating my stack. It's +cEV to push all-in pf and by committing myself to the pot I effectively do this. I wanted to simplify my play in that spot.

However of the All-in pot against BB I have an equity of 10,3BBs, and thus losing only 4,3 BBs for each time the blinds push. If the blinds only push 10% of their starting hands, I get to steal 8 BBs as opposed to losing 4,3BBs.

With my chip stack I could have bet-folded to BB's push and would have had plenty of chips left. If we have had 6-7 players then bet-folding would have been a very easy option, but at this point of the tournament we had been at 11-12 players point for a LONG time and no one really wanted to let the final table get going.