Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 09:14 PM

Default Please tell me I played this horribly (and reasoning)

Prima Network No-Limit Hold'em, $0.20 BB (6 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Hero ($19.70)
Button ($25.01)
SB ($17.43)
BB ($60.89)
UTG ($15.71)
MP ($30.38)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $0.20, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP calls $0.80.

Flop: ($2.30) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $3.2</font>, Hero calls $1.60.

Turn: ($8.70) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets $4.35</font>, Hero calls $4.35.

River: ($17.40) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets $8.7</font>, Hero calls $8.70.

Final Pot: $34.80
Old 09-04-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Please tell me I played this horribly (and reasoning)

You did fine until you called the turn bet. I think it's big enough that you should fold.

The flop min-checkraise looks like trouble (and that ace on the flop is not reassuring). Folding immediately to that checkraise is in fact an option, partly because Villain could have a monster and you have no clearly clean outs.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:23 PM

Reads? 'Cause you seem awfully convinced that he's on a flush draw and haven't given us any reason to think that.

edit: Yeah I mostly agree w/ Nick C, although I lean pretty heavily toward a fold on the flop. Calling a flop c/r in a raised pot with middle pair is a pretty strong divergence from ABC poker. You need a pretty good reason to do this or else it's just spew.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:29 PM

Assume no reads on this villain. He limps UTG then calls my raise preflop - I'm thinking low Pocket Pair, or suited connectors.

The check-minraise on the flop - tbh I didn't think much of it and smooth called it, if he's drawing to a flush then its a small raise to call.

Turn bet - I was thinking of folding here, but was thinking villain's trying to get me to fold whilst he's drawing.

River bet - right, now all I'm thinking is flush draw missed. Call his desperation bluff.

doppelganger - you are correct.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:31 PM

Just checking this flop sometimes to induce bluff on turn. He can have just about anything after checking. C-bet makes hand weak IMO, you hit a decent flop but how often are you getting called by a worse hand on Ace high flop? Turn is not likely to help opponent but good chance he bets regardless. I'd check flop with intent on calling turn and re-evaluate river. If turn goes check, bet. Thoughts on this?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He limps UTG then calls my raise preflop - I'm thinking low Pocket Pair, or suited connectors.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is where you're losing me. At this limit there are lots of passive players who just don't like to raise PF, regardless of the hand. I think there are plenty of aces in this guy's range unless you can tell me he's the type who would raise most Ax hands from EP.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:49 PM

Without reads I think this is a fold on the flop... And turn is spew, but when u call turn there's no reason not to call river.. Agree with doppel, villains range is way wider than low pockets or suited connectors.. At these stakes I've seen players limp in first from the button with aj, aT type of hands..
Old 09-04-2007, 11:01 PM

At these levels, players are often limping Ax up to AQ, Axs, pps, ATC suited....

The c/r is their main indication of strength -- and it's usually a made hand rather than a draw. Most made hands have you crushed and by the turn this is pretty obviously the case.

maniac bluffer -- different matter.