Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2007, 01:53 PM

Default New to this game - how do you play this river?

river is an awful card, do I call or is it best to assume this is only done by a boat?

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha/8, $0.05 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($11.84)
CO ($10.06)
Button ($8.70)
SB ($2.99)
Hero ($10)
UTG ($9.27)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $0.05, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $0.05, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.20) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.2</font>, MP folds, Button calls $0.20, SB folds.

Turn: ($0.60) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.6</font>, Button calls $0.60.

River: ($1.80) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.75</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $4.5</font>
Old 06-09-2007, 02:44 PM

Default Re: New to this game - how do you play this river?

Its best to assume that its a boat. Hes probably been calling you down all the way with SOMETHING, and the most logical explanation is a set. When he repots the river that should certainly confirm that. Youd need a pretty strong read on your opponent to think about calling this.

This needs to be a bluff more than 1/3 of the time for you to call, and I think in this particular situation it will be a bluff less than 1/10 of the time.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:25 PM

The big mistake here is betting the river in the first place. Unless opponent is a donk of fantastic proportions (or, perhaps, if you have been playing like a total maniac to this point), he will never call you with a hand you beat. River should be a check/fold almost every time at these limits. Sometimes you find tricky players who will try to float and steal pots when the board flushes or pairs, and against them I guess you have to check/call sometimes, but I wouldn't expect to see much of that at .02/.05.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:45 PM

Wouldn't it be better to just check/call this river? Not much to be gained by betting out, since even a pretty loose villian won't call with without a boat or another KT in his hand. So you don't gain, but you do lose big when he raises and you're stuck having committed so much to the pot already.

And if you have any read at all on the player as being tight or solid, this is probably even a check/fold situation. If he's loose or a known bluffer, probably worth looking him up with a check/call.

But as is, I think you have to fold to this raise...
Old 06-10-2007, 12:44 AM

I actually like the lead out bet on the river----not that I think he still has the best hand (although he could) but if he checks it, I think a lot of players might try to pick up this pot by trying to represent the FH, or, perhaps, at this level, maybe they'll suddenly get the notion that two pair is good.

That said, I think a small bet on the river should be enough to stop someone from making an out-and-out bluff; also, seeing that you chose to bet every round including this one, if they can raise your bet knowing that you have to have something, too, well then I'm more likely to give them credit for a better hand, and, I can fold it a lot eaiser and for just a fraction of the cost. And, if you keep the bet small, you do stand to get paid off from hands like Aces up, too.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:57 AM

It's a pretty easy fold, good bet on the river. Those 6 handed games are awesome though.