Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2007, 02:35 AM

Default Help me decide if Baulders Gate is for me!!!!

I am thinking about playing Baulders Gate on PC, could you guys explain what the game is like.

Is it like Diablo 1 and 2? I beat both Diablo 1 and 2 and they are some of my favorite games.

I did play and beat Baulders Gate for Playstation 2. I have heard the PC game is alot more complex and involved. I do not want to play a game that is extremely confusing or easy to get lost, ect.

Any help on this game guys??

Thanx!
Old 03-25-2007, 04:11 AM

Default Re: Help me decide if Baulders Gate is for me!!!!

I'd recommend part 2 on the PC - it's much better than the first. It isn't anything like the console version of Baldur's Gate. The console game is [basically] a linear hack and slash with some rpg elements. The PC version is extremely nonlinear with turn based combat (although you can do 'real time' for trivial fights) and a heavy classical RPG element.

Give it a try. There's not really any console game analog to Baldur's Gate.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:27 AM

You may be able to buy the Baldurs Gate and Ice WInd Dale games in compilation packs. In the Uk they are selling them for about £10 for each collection of about 3 games (and they can be got cheaper from Amazon uk i think.)

Baldurs Gate is a great game if you like fantasy RPG's. I think it is much better than Diablo 1, i havent played Diablo 2 or Baldurs Gate 2 yet.

While it is big, it isnt too confusin. if you do have any trouble on it then websites such as Gamespot have guides online that can help.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:40 PM

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 were extremely fun and challenging, and excellent predecessors to what is my opinion the best game in the series/genre Neverwinter Nights (haven't played the sequel yet, so my judgment could be a bit off there)

It's similar to Diablo IIRC in the aspects of getting quests, POV, and some level of "free roaming" to the map. The combat system is vastly different, however. You have multiple party members with their own sets of stats, weapons, etc. You move, target, and attack in turns instead of a real time click&slash type of combat that Diablo was based on.

If this sounds interesting to you, pick them up. Likely you can find a Baldur's Gate bundled with BG2 and Icewind Dale. If your not completely sold, I would suggest picking up the first Neverwinter Nights. They are extremely similar, it should be cheap since the sequel came out, and you can judge whether or not you like this type of game without being biased by graphics/ limits in technology when Baldur's Gate came out.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:41 PM

I've been playing BG2 recently. It's a lot of fun. It's absolutely nothing like Diablo. Very big game, tons of side quests to do, and a pretty thorough implementation of AD&D 2nd edition rules.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:27 PM

Baldurs Gate series are in the top 10 PC games of all time, gameplay/graphics are obviously a tiny bit dated now, but the series has such an awesome storyline/characters, etc.

Honestly Diablo games don't even compare, the series is a masterpiece.

Games like this can be a tiny bit overwhelming if you've never played classic rpg games - however try gamebanshee.com for an excellent visual walkthrough if you get overwhelmed.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:29 PM

Just to add to Nfinity's post, if you do get NWN to test the waters, make sure you get the Diamond edition and try Hordes of the Underdark expansion, as it's probably the peak of NWN quality.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:02 PM

If you get BG2, be sure that you commit at least 200 hours of gameplay to beating it. It's not a difficult game on the normal difficulty levels. But it is a pretty deep and fun game.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:33 PM

I just played through BG2 again, very awesome game. Chapter 2-3 with all the nonlinear quests around the city is so well done. It drops off a lot after that but still strong over all.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:59 PM

I played through BGII for a good 50 hrs and then something went wrong and I had to get rid of it and reinstall. Then I started a new game and played another 50 hrs or so and then got into a battle I couldn't beat. Just a warning that this COULD happen (unlikely).

That being said, I am ready to start up another game, unfortunately I don't have it for Mac. It is a REALLY fun game, just great to play, lots of interesting stuff going on.