Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 02:55 AM

Default Re: Rob and Amber: Against the Odds (Daniel Negreanu reality show)

Just catching up on this show. I only watch the poker parts. Anyway, Rob was on MansionPoker tourney (as mentioned previously here). He hit a 9 early with 99 vs QQ to stay alive. He eventually got to headsup. Final hand of the tourney he checked himself into oblivion and moved allin into a straight...game over. He must be playing better than the show portrays to be making it this deep in the couple of tourneys they have shown. That or the fields just suck.

Watching the season finale now. Rob is in a WSOP Circuit event. First hand of the tourney, set over set over set. Rob had middle set. All three players get it in on the flop and Rob hits the 9 for quads on the river. Live poker is so rigged. He owns QQ with 99. Cha-ching triple up first hand of the tourney. Doesn't explain much else. He folded a big pot which chopped his stack in half. Later he shoved on a board of Q52 with K5 and got called by pocket aces. Out.

They left Vegas after 3 months (apparently the length of the trial period). Rob said he guarantees they will be back and they will kick butt.

Thoughts after having watched the full season:

1) It seemed very rehearsed. I've never watched reality TV (other than Cops), but it didn't come off as reality.

2) It never seemed like the guy honestly tried to put in enough sessions to make a living at this.

3) As others have mentioned, it seemed alot like a commercial for Vegas locations.

It would be great if Daniel Negreanu would be kind enough to share if Rob made a serious effort at making a profit through poker. There is no shame in making a show that is planned to be a commercial for Vegas. I am just curious to know if they were taking it serious. Now that the season has aired, I doubt there are many restrictions on sharing his experiences with the show.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:01 AM

Methinks Rob played WAY more than two tourneys.... like 20 or more

And he's still a total donkey, seemingly just getting worse.

He doesn't listen to DN, he's an east coast guido, he's a total chump.

Furthermore, I don't believe Amber ever believed he could make it as a poker player... but she knew another reality show when she saw one. Same for DN there.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:05 PM

Rob calling two all in's with middle set seems to be a pretty donkey play to me. One of the guys has to have QQQ.

I guess it is possible one could have AA and the other could have 444. But come on!

I tried to go back to CardPlayer and look at the archive but I guess the WSOP Circuit's do not have enough juice for live updates. That hand would have probably made the updates.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:40 PM

The highlight of the show so far for me is wet, naked Amber trying to get Rob in the tub with her.

He passes because he doesn't really like baths, and suggested they watch a movie instead.

I kind of thought the guy was a douchebag before that, but that clinched it.

BTW, th more I see Amber the hotter I thnk she is, for some reason she was an acquired taste for me.

Peace,

KennyBanya
Old 02-16-2007, 03:41 PM

Do you know the specific action on the set over set over set. I can see it being hard to get away from middle set, but it would depend on the action of course. for example, let's say you're in a $10k tournament, first hand -- you start with 10k in chips. You have 99. You raise from middle position to 150, button reraises to 600 and a blind calls. So you decide to call for set value -- fairly standard. Now the flop comes T95 with two of a suit. The blind bets 1800k, which is about the pot. You have to think your set is good on this drawing board -- plus you think it's very reasonable that one/both of these guys has AA-QQ. You raise to 4000, the button pushes, and the blind calls. Well, it's certain very possible that one of these guys has top set, but do you think it's an easy fold? Their range can easily be AA/KK AKs or even AT for lots of donks. Would you fold this hand for sure?
Old 02-16-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you know the specific action on the set over set over set. I can see it being hard to get away from middle set, but it would depend on the action of course. for example, let's say you're in a $10k tournament, first hand -- you start with 10k in chips. You have 99. You raise from middle position to 150, button reraises to 600 and a blind calls. So you decide to call for set value -- fairly standard. Now the flop comes T95 with two of a suit. The blind bets 1800k, which is about the pot. You have to think your set is good on this drawing board -- plus you think it's very reasonable that one/both of these guys has AA-QQ. You raise to 4000, the button pushes, and the blind calls. Well, it's certain very possible that one of these guys has top set, but do you think it's an easy fold? Their range can easily be AA/KK AKs or even AT for lots of donks. Would you fold this hand for sure?

[/ QUOTE ]

The show didn't mention the preflop raise or the starting stack sizes at all I am not sure the buy in of the event either. Board is Q 9 4 I assume he is early as he acts first with his bet of 1600 I would figure there was a preflop raise being the first hand of the tourney, and a bet that big. Then both other players go all in instantly after his bet Rob calls.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:51 AM

Is there any chance this hand was faked? It seemed WAY too convenient to be on TV, and have him nail the one outer on the river
Old 03-01-2007, 10:42 PM

i just watched the alladin tourny episode. Then i checked the lladin site to see what the tourny was. looks like 60 doller but no re-buys??? So it looks like they let him buy in twice... also getting that mad over 3rd in a 60doller donk is insane...
Old 03-02-2007, 04:27 PM

There's no re-buy. They just let you enter again, as if you walked up late. They cap the number of entries (no idea why) and if there have been a lot of early bustos, they "run out" and won't let you buy back in.

That sequence was funny. They don't do the microphone announcing thing, it was just for the taping of the show.