Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 09:09 PM

Default Cash or Mtt\'s?

I find myself constantly switching between cash and mtt's (every 4-5 months or so).

Right now I find myself in that position again. I feel that I do ok in cash games but have been running bad lately. I tilt badly and this is the primary cause to my recent big loss.
My winrate is positive and I am somewhat successful. My only problem is that I find cash games somewhat monotonous and not so exciting.

On the other hand I actually enjoy playing mtt's but I don't feel that I am as successful with them as cash games. I really want to switch to mtt's because I enjoy it, but dont feel like I could be really successful at it. This may change, since I have recently signed up to PXF.

With a bankroll of $2k, what option should I choose here?

Just grind it out in cash?
Old 09-09-2007, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Cash or Mtt\'s?

Do you play for pleasure or for the $$, if it's a mix, then what's more important to you? Some stats on you hourly rate should make your decision pretty easy.

That said, if you enjoy MTTs more, you're more motivated to get better at them, which will probably lead to more profits.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:47 PM

I'm pretty motivated to get good at both. I have a CR and PXF sub and watch vids on both regularly. I post a lot of hands and contribute to a lot of discussion in the cash games section of 2p2 and rarely post mtt hands.

I enjoy mtt's a lot more, however, my winrate is about 4ptbb/100 over about 50k hands.

I've had some nice cashes in mtt's and I have a positive ROI (no idea what my exact ROI is though).

I cash out fairly often and hence my roll sits at 2k.

Money/Pleasure probably 70/30 ratio.

I think I can do well in tourneys, but there's no guarantee there. The thing I like about mtt's is that I can handle the swings (even though there's greater variance).

I tilt very easily playing cash and that's the main cause for my losses. With mtt's I feel like I can easily quit for a few days and come back with a fresh mind.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:47 AM

learn cash games and play MTTS only on sundays. there's no worse feeling in poker than playing MTTS everyday for 8 hours with fields of 2k+ hoping for that big score that will quadruple your bankroll. the money will come in consistently with cash.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:20 AM

MTT if you play for fun. As you practice you will probably improve.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:52 PM

Yeah i think i'm going to stick with Cash. With 40% rakeback i'm getting, I can't really go wrong. I'll just grind it out.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:26 PM

Have you considered STT's?
Old 09-12-2007, 03:20 AM

I'm in a similar position. I've played for about two years always pushing for higher limits in CashGames(NL) when my bankroll allows it.
When I feel like I'm about to go on tilt, not playing my best or I'm just bored, I try to end my session and find an MTT or a satellite close by.
This will remotivate me and let me set up a new goal for the moment. Often when I go on tilt in CG's it's because I'm forgetting the big picture, namely to build my bankroll and play my best.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I find myself constantly switching between cash and mtt's (every 4-5 months or so).

Right now I find myself in that position again. I feel that I do ok in cash games but have been running bad lately. I tilt badly and this is the primary cause to my recent big loss.
My winrate is positive and I am somewhat successful. My only problem is that I find cash games somewhat monotonous and not so exciting.

On the other hand I actually enjoy playing mtt's but I don't feel that I am as successful with them as cash games. I really want to switch to mtt's because I enjoy it, but dont feel like I could be really successful at it. This may change, since I have recently signed up to PXF.

With a bankroll of $2k, what option should I choose here?

Just grind it out in cash?

[/ QUOTE ]

Learn to play PLO, you will play cash games and never be bored ever ever again. Trust me.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you considered STT's?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL