Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Norman Chad On the WSOP: \"The Viewers Don\'t Care\"

I like Gabe Kaplan's approach. He's very analytical: he's always saying "Daniel's probably putting Sheiky on a K-Q or A-K here because he probably would've bet higher with a 10-10" or "the spade means that if Phil was playing a draw he's made it, so if The Mouth was putting him on a draw..."
This, to me, isn't wonky stuff--it's not pot odds, what the antes are, etc. I don't think it would be that hard to understand that stuff, and if you're going to pay more than one announcer (one for pbp, one analysis) they should both do something. Chad supposedly plays, but he offers no insight.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:07 PM

I actually can`t really understand why a lot of you complain about the ESPN broadcast. Just watching the first two episodes showed how bad a tremendous number of players in the ME are.

Do you guys really think that guy who called with Jack high cares about position?

You can not compare the ME coverage to the HSP show. The top notch pros play in HSP for a lot of money and that show is made for people who understand or like to understand the game of poker. Of course the producers put a commentator in there who knows what`s going on. HSP is way more serious than the ME coverage.

Just look who`s donking around at the ME. Comedians and actors, some guys mom, blind or physical disabled people, alomst everyone plays there. So the coverage is made for the open public. The "normal" TV viewer wants to see a guy like Brad Garrett or Jose Canseco or Lennox Lewis or Spiderman or Jeff Madsen sitting around in a jester outfit. Do you think someone who does not really understands poker would like to watch if a pro takes his time and than makes a correct fold? As already a couple times mentioned in here, the people want the "all in action" and bad beats.

ESPN understands to entertain the mass of people. That`s why Norman Chat goofs around with his colleague and tries to pull a joke every 25 seconds.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's the link to the original article

[/ QUOTE ]

"It's like indoor cricket."

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]