Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 09:03 PM

Default Re: Eating At the Table -- Yes or No?

[ QUOTE ]
I find it strange that so many say no food at the table but I bet a lot allow drinks. Do you allow these on the table? Do your beer bottles and glasses not sweat or are drops of water no big deal? I guess no one's ever had a drink spilled at their game.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have a drink spill practically every week. I try to discourage beers on the table, and I have side-tables.

The food isn't so much because of the table as it is the chips and cards. Besides, we have a chill room with other chairs and couches and tables and music and whatever. Nobody has ever complained that they had to eat while enjoying other amenities.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it strange that so many say no food at the table but I bet a lot allow drinks. Do you allow these on the table? Do your beer bottles and glasses not sweat or are drops of water no big deal? I guess no one's ever had a drink spilled at their game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a table with nice deep steel cup holders in it. This keeps condensation etc from hitting the felt and makes drinks generally hard to knock over. A long beer bottle can still get knocked but most of my friends drink spirits from short glasses at the table and the cup holders keep them well out of the way of being knocked over.

Greasy food I tend to avoid at the table but I am not a nazi about it. I just try to encourage eaters to take it to the other table and clean their hands afterwards.

But then my home game is mostly just a bunch of mates getting drunk and having fun on a saturday.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:49 PM

Food usually isn't the problem at my home games. Everyone has pretty much eaten before the gaming starts so no one is trying to take down a bucket of chicken at the table or anything like that. Pretzels, nuts, chips, I am fine with. The bigger problem is cigarette smoke. I enjoy a cigar now and then. As soon as I light up, 3 or 4 cigarettes join in as well. Before I know it my place smells like a bowling alley. I don't mind the smell of a cigar, but cigarettes are a different story. The solution here is obvious, not to allow smoking of any kind. But poker night is my time to drink hooch and enjoy a nice cigar away from the girlfriend so I allow my place to turn into a smoky jazz bar 1 night a week.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The solution here is obvious, not to allow smoking of any kind

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the solution is not to allow cigarettes. Everybody knows they smell differently and make everything gross. It's your house, set the rules. If done well, people will respect it. I allow any kind of smoking except for cigarettes. They can go outside for that, bond with the other cancer-suckers.

This may be an advantage to living in California. Most of the smokers I know don't even smoke in their own houses.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:42 PM

Like my mama said; "If you don't have enough to share with everyone, then it's rude." And we all know poker players are never rude.

I stopped going to a game because the host would ALWAYS throw a frozen pizza into the oven about 1 hour into the game and NEVER offer anyone a piece... because he would eat the whole dame thing. At my games, sometimes someone will run for tacos or something, but the eating has to be done away from the table and the cards keep going. It's called manners, and I'm suprised how many people lack them.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:55 PM

yes
Old 11-09-2007, 08:49 PM

I dont mind eating as long as its with a fork. findger foods i say no bc [censored] gets all over the cards.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:52 AM

Definately no smoking allowed. All but one of the hosts in my league do not allow smoking at the table or anywhere inside the location where the game is played. For the one who does, I never attend his games. I do have one or two breaks for people who want to step outside and have a smoke.