Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Coaching/Training > Stoxpoker.com
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Stoxtrader is \"In the Well\"

[ QUOTE ]
Stox-

Any stock tips? Any Vanguard index funds you'd purchase right now? I think the bus/fin. forum here is actually a pretty good resource in general, do you agree?

How do you think you'd do today if you were just starting out in limit holdem compared to 3-4 years ago?

What was your biggest downswing in terms of bb in limit holdem?

Thoughts about the Absolute situation? Thoughts about online poker in the US in general?

Would also be interested in seeing pics of your home/office/cars...

[/ QUOTE ]

no stock tips really, but I do talk about stocks sometimes on my blog, I think it might be an ok time to buy the homebuilders index - XHB and I'm also looking at BAC and C for longterm holds on all three.

that forum is a great resource. there are some smart, helpful ppl there.

BB downswing I really dont know, maybe 300?

AP - I'm not up on the details, I have heard anecdotally that mgmt is not trustworty and I have played with seif before live and was not impressed.

online poker in general i am bullish on, stars had 110k ppl on at peak last night and I dont see that coming down too much.

pics coming, few days, just lazy.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think is mankind's greatest accomplishment?

[/ QUOTE ]

smarter men than me probably have a better shot at this one.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What was your poker work ethic like when you started in terms of hours reading books, playing the game, posting here etc?

Would you today suggest the same work ethic to a beginner or would it differ? How would it look if it differs and why do you think this new approach would be better now?

What are you thoughts on data mining micro stakes limit? Useless or?

[/ QUOTE ]

work ethic - 2- 4hrs/day simply sutdying the game for a year. I worked on a trading desk with lots of downtime and I spent some of it on 2+@ and reading books.

if possible to do this for a beginner I think it would be beneficial, I would not suggest any changes.

not sueless, getting 50-100 hands on even 1-2 opponents per table has lots of value.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Stox

I've recently in the last 6 months been playing NL having switched over from limit holdem. I'm doing good in the medium stakes full ring NL games at pokerstars. In over 116K hands, I'm averaging over 3.8 ptBB/100 at the NL2,NL4 and NL6. Which I think is quite decent given I'm just starting in the NL arena.

I've been a Stoxpoker member for about 8 months too and it's been a key component in my success.

But I just can NOT win whenever I attempt to play 6-max NL games even at the $2NL level. Also, I cannot win when I play the NL10. I try to only play the NL10 when the games are very good. I only have 1,169 hands at the NL10 but I'm losing 15.58ptBB/100 there. Also, I only have 3,847 hands at NL2 6-max losing over 17 ptBB/100.

Right now, I've given up on 6-max and playing higher than NL6. I'll probably drop down in levels and play smaller for the 6-max games when I'm ready to tackle it again.

Any suggestions on how to make the successful transition to 6-max from full ring for the nolimit games?

[/ QUOTE ]

your results are very good, nice work.

glad to hear you like stoxpoker.

one suggestion one point -

your sample is tiny 6 max so hard to say that its not all variance

suggestion - study your play and results in the last three positions (first-in)
Old 10-18-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
back on doylesroom, what was playing with twotimer like? was he really as good as people say he was?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was happy to play with him but do think his 3-4 handed game was very strong.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What do you think is mankind's greatest accomplishment?

[/ QUOTE ]

smarter men than me probably have a better shot at this one.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah but they aren't in the well.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
work ethic - 2- 4hrs/day simply sutdying the game for a year. I worked on a trading desk with lots of downtime and I spent some of it on 2+@ and reading books.

[/ QUOTE ]
What is your definition of studying the game? Is that just reading and thinking about possible hands without playing or the whole cycle of reading,playing,reviewing? If so my thoughts behind the question was more in the direction of f.e. say you spent 8 hours on poker, 2 hours is reading books, 2 reading forum and 4 playing.

Then with that in mind I was trying to figure out if you'd suggest a beginner to spent more time on learning the theory before starting to crunch number of played hands.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What is your definition of studying the game? Is that just reading and thinking about possible hands without playing or the whole cycle of reading,playing,reviewing? If so my thoughts behind the question was more in the direction of f.e. say you spent 8 hours on poker, 2 hours is reading books, 2 reading forum and 4 playing.

Then with that in mind I was trying to figure out if you'd suggest a beginner to spent more time on learning the theory before starting to crunch number of played hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

its a progression, so a combinatino is best, most ppl make the mistake of too many hands not enough study, but a REGULAR balance between the two of any sort is just fine.

something like for a total beginner 40% study, 60% play and for a beginner 30% stud, 70%, best players 5% study, 95% play.....

totally rough numbers
Old 10-18-2007, 07:41 PM

who is the toughest opponent you have played against over a big sample?
Old 10-18-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
who is the toughest opponent you have played against over a big sample?

[/ QUOTE ]

maxlager (tore lagerborg and max something) were always tough
hoss_tbf
cabellerro
thebryce
juha helppi
bengt sonnert
cook73
boutros