Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 08:07 PM

Default Re: People who should be more famous than they are

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Please don't just name your favorite obscure musicians. Interesting stories!

[/ QUOTE ]

jesus christ you people are retarded

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I think this probably fits into the OPs request

The Funk Brothers, not to many people have heard of them, but everyone has heard a song that they did the instrumentals in, they have played on more number one records than the beatles, elvis, rolling stones and teh beach boys combined.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-28-2007, 08:39 PM

Like there was this band in the 80s in Kansas City called the Sin City Disciples...

J/K!!!

Long before Rosa Parks or lunch counter sit-ins, The Emmitt Till murder and trial had a huge role in the genesis of the Civil Rights movement. The whole trial might never have happened if Till's Great Uncle Mose Wright hadn't first told the police who took the boy that night and been willing to stand up and testify in court.

[ QUOTE ]
In August 1955, a fourteen year old boy went to visit relatives near Money, Mississippi. Intelligent and bold, with a slight mischievous streak, Emmett Till had experienced segregation in his hometown of Chicago, but he was unaccustomed to the severe segregation he encountered in Mississippi. When he showed some local boys a picture of a white girl who was one of his friends back home and bragged that she was his girlfriend, one of them said, "Hey, there's a [white] girl in that store there. I bet you won't go in there and talk to her." [15] Emmett went in and bought some candy. As he left, he said "Bye baby" to Carolyn Bryant, the wife of the store owner.

Although they were worried at first about the incident, the boys soon forgot about it. A few days later, two men came to the cabin of Mose Wright, Emmett's uncle, in the middle of the night. Roy Bryant, the owner of the store, and J.W. Milam, his brother-in-law, drove off with Emmett. Three days later, Emmett Till's body was found in the Tallahatchie River. One eye was gouged out, and his crushed-in head had a bullet in it. The corpse was nearly unrecognizable; Mose Wright could only positively identify the body as Emmett's because it was wearing an initialed ring.

[/ QUOTE ]
There were many other witnesses in the house that night, including the boy's father, who were too afraid to say anything. It just wasn't done, ever. Which is why the mob of white men felt free enough to brazenly snatch him like that in the first place.

[ QUOTE ]
The prosecution had trouble finding witnesses willing to testify against the two men. At that time in Mississippi, it was unheard of for a black to publicly accuse a white of committing a crime. Finally, Emmett's sixty-four year old uncle Mose Wright stepped forward. When asked if he could point out the men who had taken his nephew that dark summer night, he stood, pointed to Milam and Bryant, and said "Dar he" -- "There he is." Wright's bravery encouraged other blacks to testify against the two defendants. All had to be hurried out of the state after their testimony.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see him to the civil rights movement as something like those first soldiers over the bluffs at Omaha beach. Someone else probably was going to come along and do it. But he was one of the first who actually did.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/eyesont...ut/pt_101.html
Old 09-28-2007, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully this will go better than "what celebrity do you hate"

I kind of remember doing this thread before so don't crucify me but I can't find it.

I'll start with someone who I think is becoming more famous lately, "the man who saved the world"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislav_Petrov

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a really good documentary about 4 nuclear-equipped Soviet subs that were patrolling the Caribbean during the Cuban missile crisis. Their nukes were tactical, intended for big ships. Basically their orders were to not be detected and not do anything w/o orders. BUT there were some not 100% clear caveats that they could fire their warheads in self-defense or engaged in battle -- WW-III being the inevitable outcome.

The subs weren't equipped for warm waters, and it was supposedly 150 degrees F inside them. Everyone was a giant itchy, rashy, ball of sweat at all times. There were several near hostile encounters with US ships in what was already the most tense nuclear standoff the world has ever known. At one point a captain of one of the ships was determined to launch his warheads at a US battleship, but was talked out if by his second in command. This guy also has gotten a "man who saved the world" title.

One sub had to surface. The captain of a US destroyer stared down the captain of the sub with binoculars. He's quoted in the documentary: "I didn't want to start WW-III and I hoped to hell he didn't either." He ordered his men to turn his guns away from the sub, in a gesture of non-hostility then looked up to notice they were turning the wrong way - toward the sub. He corrected them fast.

All this stuff is only recently becoming public knowledge as Russia is opening up their once classified records. The US at the time had no idea the subs were nuclear equipped. Or that we were literally one stressed out, overworked, overheated captain's call away from war with the Russians.

At first watching that I thought it was really amazing. By the end I had chills really thinking about it.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:03 PM

Per the TMQ Gregg Easterbrook
Old 09-28-2007, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Please don't just name your favorite obscure musicians. Interesting stories!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I think this probably fits into the OPs request

The Funk Brothers, not to many people have heard of them, but everyone has heard a song that they did the instrumentals in, they have played on more number one records than the beatles, elvis, rolling stones and teh beach boys combined.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there is a huge difference between some emo band that no one has heard about and a band like the funk brothers. you gotta be retarded to not realize that.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Per the TMQ Gregg Easterbrook

[/ QUOTE ]

More stuff like this please!

Here's one:
Possibly the smartest man alive. Ed Witten singlehandedly resolved a lot of the dualities (~paradoxes) in string theory and has set the field off in whole new directions.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:23 PM

Might belong is SE, but Bill James. The amount he's done for the game of baseball is just amazing.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Good call on Warren Zevon. Best one I could think of. I even started a thread about this very topic last fall, asking why he isn't more well known.

[/ QUOTE ]

He had two top 40 hits, a top ten album and two gold records. That's pretty freaking famous.

[/ QUOTE ]WAHOOOOOO

Also, my choices:

Jack Kerouac
Bob Dylan(though this in mainly in reference to my friends)
Gah, so many others I can't think of atm

Dostoevsky(famous but amazing)
Old 09-29-2007, 01:12 AM

there are seriously people who haven't heard of dylan kerouac or dostoevsky? they dropped out before year 11 english i guess
Old 09-29-2007, 01:22 AM

Banting and Best