Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 03:07 AM

Default Re: 10/20 Stud 8 Live

Thanks for the comments. This was a pretty confusing hand, as I might have played it "backwards," but all the plays at the time made perfect sense to me on the third level. Feel free to rip me some more.

[ QUOTE ]

Seat 7: (XX)2c BI_calls
Seat 8: (XX)5x calls_calls
Seat 1: (2K)Kh completes
Seat 2: (XX)Jx calls
Seat 5: (XX)6x calls
Other dead cards: 4, T, A, one of them a club. The ace had folded between me and seat 8. One of my kings is a club.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I'd call here, sometimes I'd raise here, and sometimes I'd fold here. I'm not really concerned about this part. My reads: Seat 7 could be playing a wide variety of hands. A two-low flush draw, a wired pair, and maybe a razz hand. Seat 8, the excellent player has a good low, probably a two gapper, though not three wheel with an ace, since he would have opened with it, esp. with the ace concealed. A56 and A57 are the only hands with an ace he could have. The player with the jack has either two jacks with an ace, or a wired middle pair. The last player was new and I put him on a crappy low.

[ QUOTE ]

4th street
(XX)2c_8x calls_calls
(XX)5x_7x raises_calls
(2K)Kx_3x bets_raises
(XX)Jx_Xc calls_folds
(XX)6x_brick folds

[/ QUOTE ]
I three bet to make sure the jack went out, represent rolled or kings up, and hoped to get seat 7 out as well with 82o. If I get scooped by a low, so be it. At this point, I'm pretty sure I'm seeing the river unless someone else jams. Otherwise I'm going to call down against Seat 8. When he didn't four bet, I was certain he didn't have an open ender with 64 in the hole. After all, if you did, wouldn't you cap it against these two boards? A gut shot was still possible. Most likely it was a 7 low with no straight possibilities. I can rule out the (A7)57, but not the (A6)57 yet. I'm very unhappy seat 7 called. I think he's getting stubborn with either a pair and three low, or a draw to a good 8.

[ QUOTE ]

5th Street
(XX)2c_8x_6x calls_calls
(XX)5x_7x_Ax raises
(2K)Kx_3x_Ac bets_calls (?)

[/ QUOTE ]
The ace was a good card for me. It makes it easier to believe I have kings up. When seat 8 raises, I was pretty sure he had a seven low. With my play on fourth street, while there might be chance he's raising me with a draw to a 7 and a pair of aces, he knows no one is folding to his raise. Therefore he might already be behind both ways, albeit with a good chance to win both ways. There's no way I'm folding here. I don't believe he has the case ace. That and the pot is already really big. At least no one has a straight possibility yet. I don't think seat 7 has a flush draw and a made 8 with a redraw to a 6. He's aggressive enough that he'd raise there with that hand. He's either got a made 8, or a pair with a low draw. If it's the latter, he's in bad shape going second both ways.

[ QUOTE ]

6th street
(XX)2c_8x_6c_Jx checks_calls_calls
(XX)5x_7x_Ax_8x bets_raises
(2K)Kx_3x_Ac_6x checks_raises_calls (?)

[/ QUOTE ]

The 6 was a great card for me. One more dead 6 making it unlikely seat 8 has a straight. On the other hand, he did catch an 8, a bad card for me. Good thing Seat 7 totally bricked. I had hoped to improve my high, but realized that I'm drawing to the best low. He's no longer free rolling me. When seat 8 bet, I took a long time with the decision, maybe 45 seconds or so. I decided to raise to really try to get seat 7 out. I can't get him out if he's drawing to a flush, but he sure as hell is going to pay to draw to two pair. I think with my now two way hand, an investment of one more big bet, although very likely two more big bets considering Seat 8 should have a low lock, is worth the increased potential of scooping. If I have kings up, I'd probably just call since I'll have no ways to scoop and I'm protected if seat 7 makes an accidental two pair. If I caught an 8, I'd probably just call since I think I'm drawing dead with my low. With any other brick, I don't know if I'm still CR'ing to make seat 7 pay to draw to two pair. That'd be a tough question. But I'm definitely not raising this hand for equity, but to increase my own chances in a pot that's gotten huge. 60 on 3rd. 100 on 4th. 120 on 5th. Total of 280. I figure I need to get as many scoop outs as I can. Another $60 so far on 6th and may be up to $180. In retrospect, if I was CR'ing, I should have 4 bet. Instead I got gun shy.

Unfortunately seat 7 called two cold. Now I am sure he's got a made 8, along with either gutshot or a flush draw, though the former is much more likely. If it's the former, while I may get scooped, it also means that their hole cards must be interfering with each other. I cant be in awful shape unless I'm already up against a straight from seat 8, which while possible, was unlikely because he didn't cap 4th street against two bad looking boards.

[ QUOTE ]

7th Street
(XX)2c_8x_6c_Jx (X)
(XX)5x_7x_Ax_8x (X)
(2K)Kx_3x_Ac_6x (4c)

[/ QUOTE ]

I checked dark. I cant really think of a card that I'd catch that I wouldn't check with. Seat 7 surely bets if he improved to a pat high or a 6 low. seat 8 should be betting a good 7 if checked to. Combined chances? at least 75%? If I brick, I'm check calling. If I make kings up, I'm check calling. If I make a 6 or 7 low, I'm check raising, unless seat 7 bets and seat 8 raises, in which case, I'd probably call. While there's no way to make seat 7 throw away a pat high hand, with the tiny chance that he made two pair, I might be able get him to throw that away and have a chance to scoop the whole thing considering my check raise would look like I'd made kings full. If seat 8 made a wheel, so be it. Sure if it gets checked around, I'm likely to lose two calls, but I thought 1. there was a chance, however small, my CR might get me half the pot that I would not otherwise win; and 2. there was a chance, not insignificant, that I could CR and get called two bets in both places with a scoop.

Does my working through this hand make any sense? Or is this way too optimistic? Optimistic for sure, but please flame away if it's unrealistic. At the time I made the plays, I thought everything made sense. In retrospect, it still looks pretty good to me. A tad aggressive to be sure and not how I usually play this hand, but justified.

Any comments? I'll post the results in a couple of days.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:02 PM

I like it all very much through the river. I don't understand why you'd check blind, or even checked had you looked. That river card is very bettable/raisable, in my opinion - although if check/raise was thought to get more money in the pot I'd prefer that.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:02 PM

I thought for sure seat 8 would bet a 75 low, even without a high hand, hence making a CR the best play.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:03 PM

Results:

I checked, Seat 7 checked, Seat 8 thought and checked, and turned over a 75 low, but I didnt see what his high hand was. I scooped the pot. Never saw what Seat 7 had, but he was a little angry with me for jamming on 6th after he saw my hand.