Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Play poker for a living? Doubt it. A great hobby to have though.

You need to be doing this part time and working for a living. (I admit confusion here. How can you be on a division 1 tennis scholarship and still need to make a living?)
You cannot be afraid to lose.
You must be confident in your own strategies.
You've got to be quick at figuring odds and quicker at recognizing patterns.
You must love strategy games as has been pointed out by Dynasty.
Finally, you must leave all your winnings in your bankroll until you can play at the level that feels right to you. Bankroll and living money must always be separate.
Get rigorous physical exercise. In other words, play tennis too. Precisely because poker is a cerebral game you can't be at the top unless you maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Finally you must absolutely be honest with yourself. "To thine own self be true," said the bard. You should not be asking US what kind of person you need to become. You should be asking yourself, "Who am I?" What do I do well. What do I enjoy. Where are my passions? You can't just decide to play poker for a living. It doesn't work that way. You need to be passionate about the game. I hear that in Dynasty's story about Vegas (which I really enjoyed) and I hear it from my son who is a pro. Without that passion poker can at best be just another pass time or hobby for you. Honestly? The same is true of any profession. You must be passionate about your lifestyle in all its components.
I'm a lousy poker player but it's a great deal of fun. So I play. I'm trying to learn but I never played the game at all until after my son graduated from college. I understand why he likes it-actually is passionate about it-and I could never, ever make a living at it the way he does. I understand that because I know myself. So-get thee to a mirror and ask yourself those questions. Remember to be honest. The only person listening to your answers is you.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Op can you clarify this for me:

"After lots 6 months I built my br to about playing NL25 and NL50 to around $1,200 but started having variance at NL50 and NL100 so I was unable to achieve any significant profits and my bankroll got stuck"

ARe you saying it took you 6 months playing 6/hrs a day to build a roll for 50nl, playing 25nl?

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the kind of arrogant claims that I cant stand about the guys on 2+2. As far as I know it took Chris Ferguson (with 5 fakin bracelets) more than that to get to $1500 so I fak off. http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/chris-ferguson-challenge

[/ QUOTE ]

He had A LOT less to work with. You're comparing apples and penguins. This is another sign of your less-than-basic understanding of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. Look closely and see that it took him a lot of time to get from ~$100 to $2,000. This is another sign of you less-than-basic observation skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you really are an idiot. You're comparing Chris using only 2 - 10% of his roll at a time to get to $2000 (that's with $2 - $10 on a $100 bankroll) to your six-month climb from $25NL to $50NL. If you have mental handicaps, you should really inform us immediately so that we know who we're dealing with. This has a lot less to do with observational skills than common sense. You're seriously retarded, and if one person in this world loved you they'd hire a caretaker to prevent you from walking into walls or pissing money away on experiments.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:04 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
Correct me if I am wrong, but Leatherass (stoxpoker blogger) built his bankroll and makes most of his profits doing just that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not Leatherass.

[ QUOTE ]
What an arrogant reply. Big fakin deal. Help those who are trying to do the same then. I play Div 1 tennis with a fakin scholarship and I probably beat the shet out of you at tennis because I have been playing it for like 15 years and I dont act that arrogant when someone asks me for help on tennis.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sincerely hope this was intentional irony.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"After lots 6 months I built my br to about playing NL25 and NL50 to around $1,200 but started having variance at NL50 and NL100 so I was unable to achieve any significant profits and my bankroll got stuck"

ARe you saying it took you 6 months playing 6/hrs a day to build a roll for 50nl, playing 25nl?

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the kind of arrogant claims that I cant stand about the guys on 2+2. As far as I know it took Chris Ferguson (with 5 fakin bracelets) more than that to get to $1500 so I fak off. http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/chris-ferguson-challenge

[/ QUOTE ]

He had A LOT less to work with. You're comparing apples and penguins. This is another sign of your less-than-basic understanding of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. Look closely and see that it took him a lot of time to get from ~$100 to $2,000. This is another sign of you less-than-basic observation skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you really are an idiot. You're comparing Chris using only 2 - 10% of his roll at a time to get to $2000 (that's with $2 - $10 on a $100 bankroll) to your six-month climb from $25NL to $50NL. If you have mental handicaps, you should really inform us immediately so that we know who we're dealing with. This has a lot less to do with observational skills than common sense. You're seriously retarded, and if one person in this world loved you they'd hire a caretaker to prevent you from walking into walls or pissing money away on experiments.

[/ QUOTE ]

You stupid fak, it didnt take me six months to go from NL25 to NL50, it took me six months to go from NL5 to NL50-NL100. Stop embarassing yourself and go take ritalin so you can read better (although I think you are hopeless)
Old 10-12-2007, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Correct me if I am wrong, but Leatherass (stoxpoker blogger) built his bankroll and makes most of his profits doing just that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not Leatherass.

[ QUOTE ]
What an arrogant reply. Big fakin deal. Help those who are trying to do the same then. I play Div 1 tennis with a fakin scholarship and I probably beat the shet out of you at tennis because I have been playing it for like 15 years and I dont act that arrogant when someone asks me for help on tennis.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sincerely hope this was intentional irony.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I was being an intentional arrogant matherfaker. You like it, dont you?
Old 10-12-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You stupid fak, it didnt take me six months to go from NL25 to NL50, it took me six months to go from NL5 to NL50-NL100. Stop embarassing yourself and go take ritalin so you can read better (although I think you are hopeless)

[/ QUOTE ]

My points still stand, and you're still a retard. Sucks.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My points still stand, and you're still a retard. Sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing like stubornness and stupidity combined in one person. If you are an American, the UIGEA might have had some sort of enhancing effect on your disability. I feel sorry really. My point still stands, you are hopeless.