Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2006, 12:37 AM

Default help ! how should i have played my KQs

hi all, I'm new here.
plz help me on what I Should have done here.
thanks.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP1 (t1940)
MP2 (t862)
<font color="#C00000">MP3 (t2993)</font>
CO (t2680)
Button (t9150)
SB (t7235)
BB (t2995)
UTG (t1017)
<font color="#C00000">veeRtje (t5365)</font>

Preflop: veeRtje is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">veeRtje raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls t300, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls t250, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t1000) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t300</font>, veeRtje calls t300, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to t1100</font>, SB folds, veeRtje calls t800.

Turn: (t3500) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
veeRtje checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets t1593 (All-In)</font>, veeRtje calls t1593.

River: (t6686) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t6686
Old 08-27-2006, 01:01 AM

Default Re: help ! how should i have played my KQs

I know i probably did a million things wrong. But just name me a few.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:04 AM

1. Fold preflop if you are bad at playing flops
2. If you want to play this flop, you should shove flop now.
3. On turn, you should shove instead of check/call, as you don't want showdown.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:11 AM

I would probably have raised the flop and reraised when MP3 raised. Other than that, you need to work on hitting your draws.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:12 AM

thanks for the quick reply. You're right I'm not good at playing flops yet. But you cant learn by not playing flops right? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

the shove option at the flop seems right, its just hard for me to risk it all on one hand when I'm not sure where i'm at in the hand.

On the turn though I believe the chances of him folding were &lt; 5% (pot committed etc). Thats why I didnt shove at the turn.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:51 AM

Raise flop to 1500. Overs + flushdraw is huge. You're a favorite over A10.

There could be reasons for just calling flop, maybe you thought a SB lead means he is very strong (obv not the case as he folded). So if you do just call, once the action gets back to you from MP's raise just go all-in. You aren't folding to his turn bet as there is so much in there and he doesn't have much left.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:02 AM

I raise flop. This is one of the better flops for KdQd. You can count the kings and queens as partial outs. Only thing you need to worry about, and not very often, is Adxd. As played on flop, MP3 is almost never folding here unless he's pretty tight-weak. Jam his raise and hit the strong draw.

Calling, hoping to peel the diamond on turn is bad. You're gonna call whatever he does on most turn cards, right? Since you've got 9-15 outs, and the true number is probably somewhere between that most times... Take both cards since you're gonna by your own assessment (&lt;5%) of his pot commitment on turn, call the turn bet 95%+ of the time.

If you're not gonna risk it all on one hand in a tournament with a draw like that, when are you gonna? I don't mean this unkindly, and I give my share of bad advice. But this seems fairly clear-cut. I'm willing to go with the hand here, because it's as close to a coinflip at best, and at worst, you're priced in if he jams your raise with one of the best flop textures you can get without actually hitting the board.

MP3 coldcall range can be pretty wide depending on opponent in fairly late position, and he's deep enough at nearly 30BB's that you can't easily use his stack as a barometer to narrow his range. So putting him on a hand postflop, assuming he's rational? The diamond sets (77, TT) reduces your outs to 8 at best, 'cause you can't count the 6d or the infinitesmial chance of runner runner pair, and is consistent with the flop raise. The 6d has to be eliminated as an out. 98? Doesn't affect your potential for improvement unless it's 9d8d. It's a somewhat weak raise. so he doesn't mind action or is making a mistake with the raise. Give him the benefit of the doubt, say he's got a made hand or an overpair, I don't think you're ever worse than slightly under 1/3 to hit here.

Shoving the flop's fine, but I think a decent raise, pot or near pot works in a multitude of ways. You take it down right there, you get it HU with a pretty good chance of improving, you get it 3-way with a pretty good chance of improving, with a monster pot. Or you go broke. There's that too. Depends on how you assess the risk-reward to your personal style.

You don't know what MP3's gonna do once action gets to you on the flop. And SB's minbet at the flop doesn't tell me he's that excited about his hand. Even if he is, I'd be fine with playing this aggressively anyway.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:50 AM

1. No folding before the flop... I would've made the play you did, but calling is alright too.
2. You got 2 callers and your in the middle of them. when the SB bet I would've raised a big ammount. But calling isn't that bad. Then MP3 raises to 1100. SB folds. What do you do? you could push all-in. putting in 1600, if my math is right. I certainly think that you will be called here, I don't think he's going to believe you were slow-playing and will proabably call with any pair.
I like calling here, with the intention of going all-in on the next card. If you call your opponent will probably put you on two high cards or a flush draw, and he's right... but he doesn't know which high cards. If a king or a queen come you probably have the best hand. If a diamond comes you almost certainly have the best hand. If a jack or an ace comes you can push all-in and make him think that it hit you, he's more likely to fold now than on the flop. Also if a ace a jack or a 9 comes you have more outs with strait draws. What if a bad card comes? just check and try for a free card, if he moves all-in call him... you'll be getting the right odds.
3. The turn: The jack is a great card for you, and you should certainly move all-in right now (I think checking is a very big mistake here). This play will probably confuse your opponent and he will have to make a guess at what to do. He may guess wrong.

I'm not saying you have to play the hand this way, its just a creative play that i think is better than shoving you chips in on the flop. If he has trips, then he has trips.... that's poker, and you still have outs.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:04 AM

putting in 1600 more I mean.
And if he has Adxd you still have outs on the turn. Tho I think it is a bit unlikely he has Adxd. Why?
1. because he just called your raise before the flop, he would probably fold or raised.
2 He didn't push all-in on the flop, he only raised 800. Looks more like he has a set or a pair than a flush draw.