Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 11-16-2007, 03:44 PM

Default Rookie O8 hands

Hello everyone. I currently play LHE fulltime and am trying to reach out and expand my game. A complete rookie so i apologize if my questions are ridiculous.

FTP $15/30 6 handed hi/lo game. I raise AA95 double suited in the cutoff and the big blind calls. He's a poor holdem player on the weak tight side and goes to showdown too often. That's my only read.

The flop is Q32 with the 32 of my suit. He check/calls. The turn is a 6 and now he checkraises me. 3betting is way out of line here correct? I just call.

The river pairs the Q but brings my flush and he bets. I just call again. Should I be raising this river? Also I was calling the river no matter what. (unless I make a straight flush or the nut low [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
Old 11-16-2007, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Rookie O8 hands

call turn / raise river.

you can 3 bet turn if the guy really sucks/tilting/uber LAG.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:43 PM

3bet turn, he probably has you beat for high at the moment but its rather you freeroling him then the other way round.
Its a heads-up pot and you have a real good hand

And of course raise river. From the 2 high possibilities (str8/boat) it will be a str8 80% of the time the way the action went. Only 4 perfect cards A4 + set beat you, cmon you nit.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The flop is Q32 with the 32 of my suit. He check/calls. The turn is a 6 and now he checkraises me. 3betting is way out of line here correct? I just call.

[/ QUOTE ]Hi Kayber - I wouldn't say "way out of line," but I'd just call too.

[ QUOTE ]
The river pairs the Q but brings my flush and he bets. I just call again.

[/ QUOTE ]Fine.[ QUOTE ]
Should I be raising this river?

[/ QUOTE ]Not generally. When the board has a pair and you don't have a card the same rank as the pair, there are always six full houses plus quads possible. In Texas hold 'em, any full house is probably a good hand. In Omaha or Omaha-8, some full houses are substantially better than others. Think of your flush as just one step below the worst full house, almost as good as the worst full house. You'll lose more often than you'll win, but in a fixed-limit game there will almost surely be enough in the pot when you do win to compensate for the more frequent times when you lose.

[ QUOTE ]
Also I was calling the river no matter what.

[/ QUOTE ]I'd guess Villain has 4-5-Y-Z and hope it's not 4-5-A-Z. Pretty hard not to call on the river, but an ace on the river is probably disaster for you. Hard to say for sure without knowing Villain (and probably hard to say even knowing Villain).

Buzz
Old 11-16-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3bet turn, he probably has you beat for high at the moment but its rather you freeroling him then the other way round.
Its a heads-up pot and you have a real good hand

And of course raise river. From the 2 high possibilities (str8/boat) it will be a str8 80% of the time the way the action went. Only 4 perfect cards A4 + set beat you, cmon you nit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. You are free-rolling his bare 45 on the turn here a lot.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:34 PM

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I scooped as he had 45. Wasn't sure if i was being results oriented or not. Guess there's a few different points of view.