Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 05-18-2007, 10:18 AM

Default National Parks and Camping (advice for me + general discussion)

Hey EDGD,

I'm gonna have some free time this summer between taking the bar exam and starting my first job as a lawyer. I'm strongly considering using a couple of those weeks in August to do some hardcore camping out West. I think as of now I'd like to pick two national parks and spend one week at each of them, but I am an eastcoaster and have no idea about which ones to go to. The names that immediately spring to mind are Yellowstone and Yosemite, but that's probably cause they are the most famous. The only criteria I have is that I have is I want to avoid the deserts or any places that will be regularly greater than 100 degrees. Other than that, I am open-minded. I'm going to be starting my trip in Colorado for a wedding and want to end the trip in Vegas, so that might eliminate places like northern Washington and Montana.

I have very little camping experience other than a trip I took before freshman year of college, but I am in very good shape and not afraid to get dirty.

In addition to which places to go, I've got a lot of logistical questions, many that are probably noobish:
- I'll be doing this by myself, so what precautions should I take to ensure I don't end up like that guy who had to saw his own arm off?
- Once you get to the parks, how much freedom do you have in picking your own route? Are certain areas off limits to camping?
- What kind of supplies should I be getting? I've got a really good pack and a 40 degree sleeping bag (warm enough), but thats about it. Is a tent necessary?

Thanks in advance.

Also, feel free to use this thread for more general discussion, posting pictures, etc.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:36 AM

Default Re: National Parks and Camping (advice for me + general discussion)

I highly recommend getting a jetboil stove. it's the most efficient thing I own. you will also need a compass, cooking/eating utensils, paper towels, a good lighter, and a million other little things I am forgetting.

as far as camping, there are two ways to camp in most national parks. you can apply for a backcountry permit, which means you can set up camp wherever you want within a designated (but very large) area. some parks have seasonal restrictions on fires for backcountry campers.

the other way to do it is reserve a campsite. a campsite consists of a fire ring, grill type thing, flat space for your tent, parking space and nearby bathrooms/dishwashing stations/etc. usually these campsites are a mix of ppl with RVs and tent campers.

there is usually a separate "hiker's camp" which is normally a lot further away from cars (no parking spots nearby) and cheaper.

car campsites will run you 15-25/night, hiker's camps are around 5 bucks. backcountry permits are sometimes free, sometimes 5-10 bucks. you can usually apply for a receive a backcountry permit the same day you want to camp. if you want to get a car campsite, for that time of year you will need to reserve far in advance. there will be a *lot* of other people camping. I am not kidding or exaggerating.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:37 AM

Since you are already going to be in Colorado, I'd reccommend Rocky Mountain National Park. Your weddding is probably in Denver/Colorado Springs? So RMNP is only a 2 hour drive or so away.

I grew up near there so I may be biased, but I think it's pretty underrated as far as parks go. Regarding your other questions:

1) You won't have to saw your arm off. Leg, maybe. No, just get a good map of the park. Not a tourist, drive-by map, a detailed map. I assume you have a compass or GPS. I'm not sure if there is any type of cell recepition there. I would be suprised if there were. The only other thing I would tell you is to not get into a serious rock climbing there, because you're toast if something goes awry and you are alone.

2) There may be wildlife migrations that cause officials to prohibit some areas from camping. The ranger station will let you know about this. In fact, you may want to check with them before your trip as far as getting a permit. I don't know what those rules are nowdays.

3) Tent? Yes. The major road in the park, Trail Ridge Road usually opens on Memorial Day. Why so late? Because of all of the snow. Snowing in June is not uncommmon. Regardless of what mountian park you visit, don't underestimate how cold it can get at night at 12,000 feet.

Well I'm done with my pitch for Rocky Mountain National Park. Good luck wherever you go. It sounds like one of those trips you can look back on when you're 85 and brag to the grandkids about.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:54 AM

Clarification: I'm looking to stay on foot and generally stay away from busy campsites. I probably want to avoid any heavy climbing for safety reasons.

Thanks for the great replies so far.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Since you are already going to be in Colorado, I'd reccommend Rocky Mountain National Park. Your weddding is probably in Denver/Colorado Springs? So RMNP is only a 2 hour drive or so away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the wedding is in Colorado Springs. Sounds like a good candidate for my first stop
Old 05-18-2007, 11:01 AM

Man, I really think you are going to have a hard time finding a place that isn't real hot in that area, during that time frame.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Man, I really think you are going to have a hard time finding a place that isn't real hot in that area, during that time frame.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can deal with heat, I just want to avoid really really hot places like Death Valley. And I've already done the Australian outback, so I'd like to spend some time in non desert-like terrain.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Clarification: I'm looking to stay on foot and generally stay away from busy campsites.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trail Ridge Road gets some heavy tourist traffic sometimes, (it's still a 2 lane road), but RMNP is so huge, you won't have ANY trouble getting away from crowds. The vast majority of RMNP visitors are people who drive the road then stay at a hotel at Estes Park or Grand Lake.

P.S. If you ever saw "The Shinning" you need to visit the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:35 AM

Definitely recommend RMNP. Also, check with the rangers at the park about camping elsewhere in the area. I don't know about the back country permit turnipmonster was talking about, but back around 2000 a friend and I were going to camp there but balked at the ~$15 fee. We talked to a ranger and he told us that, if we found an established fire ring outside the park bounds, it was ok to camp there. We found one just outside the park borders, up this little dirt track that needed 4WD to get to. It was incredible. Double check with the rangers, but I've done it a couple times since and every time its been way better than paying for a tent space in a campsite with RVs and everything else.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:14 PM

Man I could write a few pages on this. But with August you are somewhat limited. First of all get a National Parks Pass - although I think they call it something funky this year and they raised the price from $50 to $80. If you go to more than one park it pays for itself.

Sounds like Rocky Mt. Natl park would be a good place to start. IF you wind up coming SW be sure to check out Zion and Yosemite. Although Zion will be fairly hot and Yosemite will be crowded, but so will everywhere else that's not scorching in August. Best time to do the Zion Narrows river hike is August - it's awesome. To me one of the highlights of So. Utah is just taking the backroads all over the place, and as long as you have AC, you can do this anytime. Bryce Canyon is a lot cooler than Zion as it's at higher elevation, and definitely worth seeing.

Here's my trip report and pics from that area which you may find helpful:

http://www.synergizethis.com/FourCornersTrip.html

Also there's a link to some CA deserts stuff off that page.

And Yosemite is such a magical place, I can't imagine ever having a bad time there. If you do Yosemite - try hiking from Toulame Lake (sp) up to Cloud's Rest. But be sure to train first, the first couple miles are fairly brutal. But once you get to Cloud's rest and the day hikers have gone back, you'll have the place all to yourself. In August there's a good chance you can sleep out under the stars, which is a really magical experience. Then from there you can hike down towards the valley and do half-dome - if you have any legs left. Hiking to the top of Half-dome after Cloud's Rest is probably the most worn out I've ever been in my life. But I made it, and I'm a fat POS. So a lot of people should be able to.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.