Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 08:36 PM

Default Apartment credit check situation -- need serious advice (not spam)

Hi all,

My g/f and I have been looking recently for a new apartment. Yesterday, we found one that we thought that we liked, but were rejected in favor of another couple that had better credit.

Obviously, we don't want something like this to happen again, but here's the issue. My credit score is average (not better than average -- I did some stupid stuff in college -- but not worse than average), and I can also show my tax forms, etc to show that I'm now making a good deal of money. My girlfriend's credit, however, is piss poor. This particular apartment ran a credit check on both of us, and I'm sure that our combined credit score didn't look so hot.

So, what's the right way to play this the next time that we're asked for a credit check?

1) I say that the lease should be in my name, so there's no need to run a credit check on my girlfriend. Does that make it seem like we're hiding something or is this standard operating practice?

2) I manage expectations and say "Go ahead and run a credit check on both of us, but I want you to know that my credit is going to be better than my girlfriend's. I can cover the rent on my own if necessary."

3) None of the above?

thanks,
freecreditreportdotcom guy
Old 05-21-2007, 10:03 PM

Default Re: Apartment credit check situation -- need serious advice (not spam)

I think getting the lease in your name only is the best bet.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:12 PM

Default Re: Apartment credit check situation -- need serious advice (not spam)

or just don't rent from large management companies. my sister and her husband own a lot of rental property and sometimes rent to people with bad credit. they meet them personally, get other supporting documents and make a decision based largely on their belief in the person. they have had almost no problems with this approach, and i would imagine other non-management company owners take a similar approach.
Closed Thread