Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 08:03 PM

Default HUSNG - What does it mean to play tight?

In the context of a heads up sit-and-go, where the effective stacks are never above 75...

What does it mean for a player to be tight? Does it mean he isn't raising with a lot of 52s type hands preflop? Does it mean that he isn't c-betting without at least some part of the flop? Does it mean not firing two barrels when he thinks his opponent is weak?

I know this is a very general question, but I honestly don't have a good grasp of what tight means as it applies to HU...
Old 10-08-2007, 08:07 PM

Default Re: HUSNG - What does it mean to play tight?

rather than answering your ?, i'll get to the heart of the ?....who says playing "tight" is playing "right?" I play in a fashion that is tailored to my opponent's play. There's no recipe about how tight one should play until he see's how tight villain is playing.

As far as what "tight" means, it usually means they don't make a move without a very strong hand. Perhaps they don't play many hands, and when they play them they are passive.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:48 PM

"Tight" to me in a HUSNG is playing (raising or limping) half or less of hands dealt on the button and playing (calling and raising combined) about 20% or less hands from the BB. Then you can figure in rather their tight/passive or tight/aggressive based on their raising frequency.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:03 PM

Nichomacheo, are you asking tight good or tight bad. This is a broad question. I think that tight bad is self-explanatory, ie, they let you steal to easily, and only bet with a near-nut hand, etc.

I have been wrapping my brain around tight good, and I can't identify it fully, but I do play tither than I did when I first started: I am about 65 compared to 85 before.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:18 PM

Most of the biggest winners in the low and medium levels play "tight." My definition is they are patient players who don't take risks, they wait for a hand and take advantage of most opponent's tendency to call super light or bluff in super bad spots.

These players are often easier to beat than some of the random maniacs that may actually be losers in the 6-55s. They let you walk all over them, some of the better ones are all right, but they are super easy to read and a lot of them never ever bluff (or if they do they make it super obvious and it's easy to hero call).

I played fairly tight in the 33s compared to how I play now, I passed up spots I thought I might find thin value in and instead worked on getting most of the players into huge pots OOP. It's not that I thought this was the best strategy/way to play, it's just that it was the most profitable thing I could do with my skill set at the time.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then you can figure in rather their tight/passive or tight/aggressive based on their raising frequency.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, to me tight means preflop and passive/aggressive is for postflop play.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:49 PM

For those who have worked up to the 100s or better, did you start out playing tight, and then play looser? Or did you start loose, play tight, then go back to loose?

I know that this may be getting a tad off topic, but maybe not.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:07 PM

I've opened up both preflop and postflop, I'm a lot more aggressive as I've moved up. That's as much of a product of my own skills developing as the players I play.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the biggest winners in the low and medium levels play "tight." My definition is they are patient players who don't take risks, they wait for a hand and take advantage of most opponent's tendency to call super light or bluff in super bad spots.

These players are often easier to beat than some of the random maniacs that may actually be losers in the 6-55s. They let you walk all over them, some of the better ones are all right, but they are super easy to read and a lot of them never ever bluff (or if they do they make it super obvious and it's easy to hero call).

I played fairly tight in the 33s compared to how I play now, I passed up spots I thought I might find thin value in and instead worked on getting most of the players into huge pots OOP. It's not that I thought this was the best strategy/way to play, it's just that it was the most profitable thing I could do with my skill set at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

These players used to put me on lifetilt when I wasnt as confident with my game yet. Id be taking a shot at the 22s or the 33s and play a "tight" player. First Id sharkscope him, see hes a 14.5% winner, then lose to him in a ridiculously retarded spot and then scream:

HOW CAN YOU HAVE ACES THERE? ARE YOU JOKING ME? YOU DONT RAISE THE BUTTON FOR 20 HANDS STRAIGHT AND THEN YOU COME IN FOR A 6x RAISE AND YOU HAVE ACES. NO. YOU SUCK OMFG YOURE TERRIBLE. YOURE LOSING VALUE LEFT AND RIGHT AND YOURE TOO TIGHT AND PREDICTABLE HOW CAN YOU EVEN BE A WINNER????

... good times.