Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker

Old 10-08-2007, 07:14 PM

Default 20 nl sng, I know this is basic, but......

I suck so bad, at the 50/100 level.

If I find myself at this level, it is because my opponent is good, or lucky. Unfortunately, my villain is pretty darn good.

However, there is one small hole in his game that I feel that I am able to exploit. The problem with the hole is that it doesn't give me huge ev.

But my thinking is that now, with such large blinds, this hole could be costly.

So, the question is, not if I suck or not (already answered, ty), but if it is worth trading pf for post-flop? Is it always >ev to shove pf, or was I okay playing this hand like this?

When he shoved me on the flop, I knew he either had a Q, middle pair + fd, or a fd, but the last seemed pretty unlikely. Reads or no reads, I would be a disaster to lay this down, I think.

Before I had to read it, no, he would not have 2p or a set here.

Poker Stars, $20 + $1 NL Hold'em Tournament, 50/100 Blinds, 2 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

Hero (BB): 1,355
SB: 1,645

Pre-Flop: (150) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
SB calls 50, Hero checks

Flop: (200) Q 4 T (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets 200</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to 1,545 and is All-In</font>, Hero calls 1,055 and is All-In

Turn: (2,710) 9 (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

River: (2,710) 3 (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: 2,710 Pot
Hero showed Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (two pair, Queens and Nines) and LOST (-1,355 NET)
SB showed 4 9 (a flush, Queen high) and WON 2,710 (+1,355 NET)
Old 10-08-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Re: 20 nl sng, I know this is basic, but......

Dave , you played this perfectly !
Old 10-08-2007, 07:31 PM

u played this fine
Old 10-08-2007, 08:16 PM

I play this exactly the same. Please don't even consider folding this on the flop. Even solid regulars will have air here sometimes, which you didn't seem to consider when calculating your equity.

If he's solid, he should be pf raising about any hand that has you crushed, such as any pocket pair (which may have made a set,) or KQ. QT, Q4, and T4 could be in his limping range, so these are really the only three hands that you would really hate getting it in against. I think you'll see a naked flush draw more often than you think also.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:59 PM

I'm wondering about PF. I know that there is stuff like SAGE and half SAGE, etc, is this a good time to shove, and continue to shove with these types of hands?

A was thinking air would be out of the question. I didn't get the impression that this guy was taking anything that was hugely -ev. A cold bluff would probably be to risky for him to try here, as he would be more likely to push with a hand that he wants a call with. But the bastard beat me, so maybe I wasn't all that able to read him either.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:04 PM

Also want to add that I am pretty inexperienced at the 20s, so I haven't created much in the way of what to expect from the general villain.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm wondering about PF. I know that there is stuff like SAGE and half SAGE, etc, is this a good time to shove, and continue to shove with these types of hands?

A was thinking air would be out of the question. I didn't get the impression that this guy was taking anything that was hugely -ev. A cold bluff would probably be to risky for him to try here, as he would be more likely to push with a hand that he wants a call with. But the bastard beat me, so maybe I wasn't all that able to read him either.

[/ QUOTE ]

SAGE only applies at 10 Big Blind effective stacks or less. Bluffing with air could be +EV for him, depending on how you are playing. If you're stabbing at a lot of pots on the flop, he may feel that your betting range that will fold to his shove is great enough to compensate for the times you call and he's crushed. You bet full pot on the flop, and a lot of times villains feel (usually incorrectly, IMO) that this is a sign of weakness.

Try not to be so results oriented, as the stacks are really too shallow to consider folding this. You had 56% equity against him, and you are rarely crushed by his potential range.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:21 PM

If you have a read that a villain will bet ATC, which many villains do at all levels I've ever played, a check-raise might be most EV. But the way you played it is fine, you're ahead of most player's range here.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:25 AM

i feel like you played it fine, villians hand is from ATC to AA, but i dont think i ever fold TP here without a ridiculous read with 13bbs
Old 10-09-2007, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also want to add that I am pretty inexperienced at the 20s, so I haven't created much in the way of what to expect from the general villain.

[/ QUOTE ]

As soon as the tournament table is open, try to completely forget about what level youre playing or how much money is on the line. Dont even expect any sorts of players judging by the level youre playing.

The 22s = 11s and the 22s = 33s. There is absolutely nothing you should do differently from what you did at your reg stakes before.