Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 09:41 PM

Default Re: Prop bet- Tuan Le vs. Antoine Walker, 1-on-1

[ QUOTE ]
I think people underestimate how hard it would be for a slow guy like Antoine to have to play in dress shoes. If Tuan actually has a decent dribbling game, and any kind of endurance, then there is a better then 10% chance to win here I think. And as othes said it depends of it's make or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

slow? antoine walker in dress shoes is faster than tuan le in sneakers
Old 09-19-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is all depends if they are playing makes or not. If makes, Tuan has about .005% chance to win. If not, probably around 0.15%.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-19-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On a recent poker show, Tuan was talking about a potential prop bet with 'Toine.

Details:

-Walker spots Le 9 playing to 12
-Walker cannot shoot from inside 22 ft
-Walker has to play in slacks and dress shoes (shoes chosen by Le, must fit of course)
-Walker lays 5:1 on any price

Not sure if it's make it-take it or not (obv a huge difference)

For those that don't know, Tuan Le is prob between 5'2 and 5'6, asian, claims to be athletic and able to dribble well.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

By "must fit", does that mean "must fit well"? That's the only way I can see Tuan has any chance at all (Slacks and shoes both way too big, 'toine not allowed to remove either during the course of play).
Old 09-19-2007, 10:47 PM

I'm convinced none have you have ever watched Antoine play.

We have seen Toine shoot undefended threes.

They have a contest for it each year, at the mid-season celebration of the All-Star game.

Antoine scored a 7, punctuated by at least one airball. The embarrassment for the state of the NBA game, Celtics fans, and Mr. Walker himself was felt by all. You'd think he was trying hard; people don't typically try to make such a spectacular ass of themselves in front of their peers.

So you heard he hits 20 in a row in practice. As a C's fan, I've seen him miss just as many in a row in games. Trust me, other teams didn't put a priority on defending Antoine behind the arc.

He's not better now than he was then; if anything, he's a worse shooter.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

They have a contest for it each year, at the mid-season celebration of the All-Star game.

Antoine scored a 7, punctuated by at least one airball. The embarrassment for the state of the NBA game, Celtics fans, and Mr. Walker himself was felt by all. You'd think he was trying hard; people don't typically try to make such a spectacular ass of themselves in front of their peers.

So you heard he hits 20 in a row in practice. As a C's fan, I've seen him miss just as many in a row in games. Trust me, other teams didn't put a priority on defending Antoine behind the arc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I didnt realize this game was going to be played in 60 seconds.

Yeah, that will make it tougher on 'Toine.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:01 PM

Does Tuan Le have a gun?
Old 09-19-2007, 11:03 PM

It does not matter. Le won't score one point.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:03 PM

Tuan Le might be better off boxing Mike Tyson... and you know Mike will take the action
Old 09-19-2007, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I didnt realize this game was going to be played in 60 seconds.

Yeah, that will make it tougher on 'Toine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm sure that extra 2' closer makes no difference, right? If they moved the line back to 25'6", everyone would have the same exact shooting %, that's what you're saying? Oh, right. Maybe not.

Tuan has a gun, 50% chance he wins. Tuan has Norris, 80%. Tuan has Ditka, 99%.

BTW, none of this precludes Toine from throwing the game on purpose to hustle Ivey, Danny, and E-dog. Frankly, he should do that, lose to Tuan for $50k and then hustle everyone else in a weekend for $100k each.

Maybe I'll call him...
Old 09-19-2007, 11:07 PM

http://www.davebarry.com/president/d...lumns/long.htm

Ask 10 basketball people to describe him, and they'll all say the same things, often in the same words: He's a blue-collar player. A great attitude. Great work ethic. A much better player than he should be. He doesn't look pretty out there, but he always gives you 110 percent. A heckuva nice guy. He's done a tremendous amount for a guy with limited physical gifts. Of course all this is relative. Compared with Godzilla, King Kong had limited physical gifts.

Even the most marginal NBA player is an absurdly better athlete than an ordinary person. When basketball people say that Grant Long can't shoot, can't pass, can't dribble, what they mean is: He can shoot, pass and dribble better than you, better than anybody you know, better than all but a few hundred people in the world. Long's jump shot is so bad, by NBA standards, that his team never runs a play designed to set him up for it; but you could practice your jump shot every day forever and still never beat him in a game of Horse.

One day Long and I were standing on the floor of the Miami Arena, talking. I was bouncing a basketball, and suddenly Long flicked his hand out, stole the ball, and started dribbling it. I tried to steal it back. I tried hard to steal it back, for about 30 seconds, and I never once touched it, despite the fact that Long, nearly a foot taller than I, was bouncing it to the height of my chest, and was making no effort to back away from me, or use his body as a shield.

The problem was that I was operating in Normal Person Time, which is slow motion for an NBA player. Long would be bouncing the ball so that it passed a foot from my hand, and I'd make my craftiest, slickest, lightning- quickest move for it, and Long - looking at me, not the ball - would casually alter the dribble, flick the ball through his legs, pick it up on the other side, leaving me lunging at air, time and again. But in the NBA, this is a guy whose ball- handling skills are considered to be zero. This is a guy who, if everything went according to the Heat game plan, would not dribble the ball once.