Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2007, 11:02 PM

Default getting autographs at wsop

Where would be the best place to get them.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:04 PM

Default Re: getting autographs at wsop

during an all in.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:06 PM

at the Rio during breaks. I saw a family get their picture taken with Jesus (Chris Ferguson, not the second coming). He seemed like a really nice guy.

There's lots of famous players at the Bellagio, but I'm not sure that would be such a good idea, but maybe you could follow them out to the bathroom when they go on a pee break
Old 06-17-2007, 11:24 PM

DO NOT go into the tourney area and bug players at the tables. Don't bug 'em at the cash games, either, please.

When you find 'em in the hallways or hanging around in the aisles or in the hospitality suites, most of 'em seem very friendly. And the BEST time to catch 'em is on a smoke break (for those with that nasty habit). Don't be offended if they decline to participate, though, just move along.

Obviously the most fun place to ask for an autograph is while peeing next to 'em. Just ask 'em to sign your 11th digit.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When you find 'em in the hallways or hanging around in the aisles or in the hospitality suites, remind yourself that only an annoying nerd would bother a person because "I saw you on tv!" Better to just move along.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what it's like to be accosted by an aggressive panhandler? You keep giving him one-word answers, and trying to move away from him, but he won't leave you alone?

Now imagine that EVERYONE IN THE WORLD is that aggressively annoying flea who's trying to get something from you. That's what it's like for these tv poker players.

You're above that. You don't need to descend to the level of a panhandler. Leave those people alone.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:48 AM

Wait until the final table, especially heads-up.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait until the final table, especially heads-up.

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminded me of the most annoying player I have ever met. He busted out of a satellite and then came up to the ropes I hiad around the final table and was trying to tell bad beat stories to the players at the final table. I had to ask him to leave.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:04 AM

Get in good with the dealers and have one of them get it for you at the table
Old 06-18-2007, 04:31 AM

Mostly agree with YTF's sentiment.

RR - Wow. That's amazing.

In 2005 playing at same table as Johnny Chan in main-event he had to deal with autograph seekers during breaks when he was just trying to chill and, you know, be on his break.

I met some guy who was wearing a white ball-cap that was signed in black sharpie pen by every main-event champion he could find. He had gotten every living champ except for a couple I think.
He looked ridiculous and I thought it was pathetic. Although he seemed to think it was incredibly cool and was bragging about it quite a bit.

When I first showed up at the WSOP to register in 2005 John Juanda was walking out with a bunch of others on their break in some prelim event.
Some kids who were about 14 or so who obviously recognized him from TV came running up to him to get his autograph and he was, as expected, perfectly classy and stopped and talked with them for a little bit.

The kids obviously weren't asllowed to go into the playing-room so the fact that they came all the way down to the registration area indicates just how much they wanted to get an eyeful of a famous player or two and I think Juanda realized that.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When you find 'em in the hallways or hanging around in the aisles or in the hospitality suites, remind yourself that only an annoying nerd would bother a person because "I saw you on tv!" Better to just move along.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
When someone asks how and where to best go about getting autographs, saying "don't" isn't really very helpful. You don't understand the mentality of the autograph hounds. I don't either, but I can concede that they exist and WILL try to get their scraps of history. So better to provide useful advice.

I also have seen Scotty Nguyen's eyes light up when someone asks him to sign their hat and pose for a picture. He was actually just out in the hall a couple years ago trying to grab a smoke during a tournament, apparently trying to suck one down quick and get back to the table, but he seemed genuinely tickled to have a husband+wife acknowledge and fawn over him. So for some folks it may be an imposition, but for others it's almost what they live for.

Common sense applies. When you see 'em walking fast for the restroom, let 'em go. Don't be like the chick who chased Johnny Chan INTO the men's room and then came out sputtering and indignant because "he was really rude to me". When you see 'em just standing around holding up a wall, or hanging out in the FullTilt room with a beer, you can give it a shot.