Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2006, 12:18 AM

Default Re: POP QUIZ

[ QUOTE ]
This is super easy.

Call the flop check raise. Raise any card that is not a J or 7. This guy will fold at least 75% of the time.

He has J-dick, or 7-x here always. A 'good' player would not c/r the turn with two pair or a set.

If your image is tight, and you haven't made moves on this player before, he will be helpless to stop this play against him.

I mean, if he has K7 on a J7x board, and you bet call the flop, and a 2 slides off on the turn, and he bets, and you raise, he just can' tcall down.

To add, if you actually make a flush, DON'T raise the turn. I know I know, opposite world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:39 AM

Default Re: QUIZ ANSWERS

[ QUOTE ]
Very nice post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanx for the compliments sharpie and thorv, im glad you guys enjoyed. I played this hand many months ago and I figured I could make a fun quiz out of it. Perhaps I'll post more hands I played, in the future.

ILP
Old 07-02-2006, 12:55 AM

I hate myself for being this type of player, but I will often check-call a king on the turn here as the BB - think i would c/c the river too unless another paint or spade came off.

I know that it's abysmal to c/c a king against an average player, but I'm weak like that.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate myself for being this type of player, but I will often check-call a king on the turn here as the BB - think i would c/c the river too unless another paint or spade came off.

I know that it's abysmal to c/c a king against an average player, but I'm weak like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boston, you brought up an interesting point. Just becuz one checkraises the flop, doesnt mean one has to follow through and bet the turn. In fact online, against tricky aggressive players you will come across many scenarious where its correct to checkraise the flop to isolate the flop bettor and then check/call down depending on what hits the turn. Those people who checkraise the flop and always bet the turn are exposing themselves to some tough turn situations against certain opponents. And naturally, when faced with a tough decision, you are by definition going to make some costly mistakes.

In fact, if the pro understood that I knew what his hand was given how he played the flop and that I was capable of exploiting this information, he wouldve never bet the turn once he successfully isolated me with his checkraise.

So from the Pro's perspective, check/calling the turn against me is the optimal line. Its funny how this game works....all you have to do take away all the powers of a tricky aggressive player is simply check and call.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:25 AM

One of the really enlightening things that came from the old "Strategy" posts on FullContactPoker was a hand where you hold the KK OOP and bet a safe flop. An Ace turns. 100% of low-limit internet players will lead in this spot. Negreanu and everyone in his playing circle he asked said that checking and calling was by far the best play. The difference is almost certainly the level of player that Negreanu faces in an LHE ring game and the players you encounter at Party 1/2 short or the 10/20 live game you played. Training yourself to bet like an animal will make you a lot of money against loose passives, but you definitely have to switch gears sometimes against trickier players. If you are prone to making "good folds" in LHE, you can save yourself a lot of bets and - perhaps more importantly - piece of mind by simply check-calling OOP.

In this spot, you check to induce a bluff by the 50% of hands you have beat and to get to a cheap showdown against the 50% that have you beat (and that you have five outs against).

That said, if you have too many players you need to check-call this street against at your table, it's a bad game.

What do you think the pro had you on? A big jack? KQ? Am I an idiot for not knowing?
Old 07-02-2006, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What do you think the pro had you on? A big jack? KQ? Am I an idiot for not knowing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the pro had 7x. If he had Jx he would just bet the flop, He cant have KQ cuz he wouldnt checkraise/bluff the flop with a hand like KQ or T9,T8,98 for that matter cuz he knows Im betting something here and theres still a decent chance that one of the fish will cold call his flop checkraise and ruin this play. When the pro checkraises the flop he has to have a hand that was not strong enough to lead the flop oop to 3 players yet still strong enough to checkraise an aggressive button bettor. Hence 7x.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:46 AM

Yeah, I know. You said the pro told you he knew what you had and quickly folded. Just wondering if you think he thought you had a specific holding.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I know. You said the pro told you he knew what you had and quickly folded. Just wondering if you think he thought you had a specific holding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I dont have a clue what the pro thought I had. He probably put me on KJ, but the truth is I cant have this hand cuz I wouldve raised preflop after two fishy limpers. The only legitimate hands I can have in this spot are K7s,K3s,J7s,77,33.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:13 AM

i dont see the point of this type of question w/o knowing the pro's tendencies. does he raise draws? would he incorrectly raise As and a 7? if he's good, then probably not. most likely made hand is obviously jacks w/ random kicker. but if he plays fast he could have anything. if you are perceived as super tight, and he is capable of folding, then you can 3bet, bet turn, perhaps folding a bad jack. but this is unlikely. perhaps you could instead raise turn on any q, k, or ace if the above conditions are met.

i think just playing this passive is fine.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:16 AM

'a good player would not c'r the turn w/ 2pair or a set' - what did you mean here?

also, why are you not raising the turn when you flush up? how do you know the additional chance of gaining an extra riv bet overcomes the chance of charging a higher spade?