Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Guy crashes into my truck, his fault, gives false insurance info

[ QUOTE ]
update?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well alls well that ends well. Turns out the guy had insurance afterall. I called his house last night many times. Finally someone answered, wasn't the husband or wife, said they wouldn't be home till "tomorrow". I figure I'm getting the run-around but he insisted "no, he really does have insurance, he filed a claim today". Then he proceeds to give me a new insurance # (same Farmers company). I called today and MUCH to my surprise, I was able to file a claim. I'll be talking to an adjuster tomorrow and should be able to take the truck to get it fixed soon.

But ya this was very educational, hope ya'll learned a few things too. Like go ahead and get a police report, try to verify the insurance right then and there (24 hour claim service), do whatever it takes to CYA. I'm glad I don't have to get the cops involved anymore, I know they have more important things to work on.

And to the people in this thread who said I suck, am stupid, whatever.. hey I did the best I could at the time - ya'll don't have to be such pricks.. Then again, maybe thats all you're capable of.

Always nice to have Ray Zee pop into a thread tho [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Take care.. BB
Old 11-06-2007, 07:52 PM

standard
Old 11-07-2007, 11:35 AM

when I wrecked my beater last winter, even though the thing was only worth a couple thousand, I called the cops immediately and filed a report, they gave the girl I hit a ticket and because of this, I got my money from her policy within 2 days, it was pretty fantastically simple, really glad I did that.

Otherwise it would have been very "he said/she said" and it would have been much more drawn out and I probably would have gotten a split settlement instead of 100%

I also got a day off work to go testify in court when she fought the charges.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not wanting to fill out a report .. okay paperwork is a PITA. But not verifying that he has valid insurance?

WTF, I'd be tempted to speak with his superior over this matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really want your policy to take the time to make sure the company & policy # someone exchanges with another person is valid/current? Even if in the state where OP lives an Accident Report isn't required due to the minor nature of the claim?

Anyone who argues that a property damage claim (with no injuries) resulting in a deductible loss of $250 to the OP isn't minor.....

Seriously, it's not the cop's job to fix this. Go thru your company, pay your $250 deductible and give the info of the offending party to your insurance company. Let them try and get the $$ back. If they can't due to the guy not responding OR just maybe your son might not have represented the facts/circumstances of the accident properly and you have no recourse against the other party........s#@t happens. Pay the $250 and be glad your son is OK.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:36 PM

Had this happen to me a long time ago. I called the guy, told him the total damages to my car and that I found out he didn't have insurance. Told him he could either come up with the money to pay for the damages in a week or I was going to the cops. He paid cash that day.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not wanting to fill out a report .. okay paperwork is a PITA. But not verifying that he has valid insurance?

WTF, I'd be tempted to speak with his superior over this matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really want your policy to take the time to make sure the company & policy # someone exchanges with another person is valid/current? Even if in the state where OP lives an Accident Report isn't required due to the minor nature of the claim?

Anyone who argues that a property damage claim (with no injuries) resulting in a deductible loss of $250 to the OP isn't minor.....

Seriously, it's not the cop's job to fix this. Go thru your company, pay your $250 deductible and give the info of the offending party to your insurance company. Let them try and get the $$ back. If they can't due to the guy not responding OR just maybe your son might not have represented the facts/circumstances of the accident properly and you have no recourse against the other party........s#@t happens. Pay the $250 and be glad your son is OK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I do. That's what policing is. They verify my license, registration, and insurance when I get a ticket for something unrelated to an accident. They can easily verify the insurance at an accident scene as well, when it really matters.

If the cop had done his job, the guy would have also been cited for driving without valid proof of insurance.

Every state has a database accessible to law enforcement to verify whether a policy is valid or not. It doesn't take long either, just typing in some basic info on there computer or calling the station to have them do it.