Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 10:44 PM

Default [NLTRN] 1st hand basics refresher

Hello, this general topic has been discussed before in various forms but I would like a very general answer. Say you're in the first hand of a 5 or 10 dolla HUSNG (10/20 starting blinds, 1500 stacks). Scenarios:
1)You're on the button and you raise 3x. Your opponent makes a substantial reraise to about 500. Obviously calling sucks. What's your reshove range?

2)I think these two should have similar ranges so I'll put them together: you raise 3x and your opponent shoves back into you. Other situation is that your opponenent open shoves into you when you're on the BB.

3) Your opponent limps, you raise it up 4x and they reshove.

For 1) I'd say TT+ or AK and maybe AQ (not sure about the AQ) Maybe even eliminate TT. For some reason I want to give this guy the most credit, perhaps because his move is the least ridiculous out of these 3. My extra given credit may be incorrect though. For 2) I'd say slightly looser, something like 88+ and AJ+. 3) might be the same range as 2) but not sure.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:58 AM

Default Re: [NLTRN] 1st hand basics refresher

1) 99+, AQ+.

2) Hmm, my answers are about the same.

3) same as above.

Not sure if it's a mistake that I have the same range for all of these.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:35 AM

1. I'd actually give this guy the least credit - this is the most ridiculous move to me. I've seen villains do this with medium pocket pairs - they're afraid to play these postflop and would rather take your PF raise, feeling entitled to something with their 77's and 88's. Sometimes it's KK and you look like an idiot - that's poker. It's also such a weird raise that there's a non-zero chance you have some fold equity with the shove - it would be a different story if villain raised to 750.

Range: 99+, AJ+

2. I'd like to say I play tighter first hand than if they do it later, but in reality:

Range: TT+, AQ+

3. I think this line shows the most strength on average.

Range I'd like to have: QQ+, AK
Range in practice: TT+, AQ+
Old 11-20-2007, 03:36 AM

I think 1 and 2a. are the closest to each other.

I probably do AJ+ 88+ for all except the last, which I agree is probably the strongest on a whole and do TT AQ+ for that one. I almost want to take out AQ, but I can't.

That's for 5-33s, might open up a bit at the 5s and 10s from those ranges, but that's my general range.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:59 AM

Ya actually 2a and 2b are pretty different, dunno why I grouped them together. I guess my recent memory has skewed my perception of 1) because this happened the other day. I openned AQ OTB and faced a 500 chip raise and I just shipped it in. He had AK. Result orientedaments for the win I suppose. Thanks for the refresh.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:36 PM

its weird, i am a lag station, but preflop i tend to give shoves/ huge raises ALOT of respect until i have reason to think otherwise. AK is the only unpaird hand i would keep in all of the examples, and you would usually catch me folding 9s in most of those situations. I just dont believe people are doing this with AJ/ 22-88 that much. hell i dont get excited about 10s or jacks either. i know thats not very specific of me, but id just like it to be on the record that i suggest a nitty approach until you have reason to think otherwise.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:04 PM

I love to shove with 88+ AJ+ because people in the 5s and 10s call here with A3 all the time. Its pure profit IMO. For weird shove moves in the first hand i'd call with AT and sometimes with 77 which depends on my mood [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]