Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2007, 09:36 AM

Default HUSNG: getting raised on the river

I've only played a few hands with him and he seems solid this far. I think flop and turn are pretty standard. I bet the river for value because he calls with lots of worse hands.
His raise just doesn't make sense. What legitimate hands would he play this way?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (2 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button (t1490)
Hero (t1510)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t60</font>, Hero calls t40.

Flop: (t120) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t80</font>, Hero calls t80.

Turn: (t280) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (t280) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t140</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t600</font>
Old 10-28-2007, 03:02 PM

Default Re: HUSNG: getting raised on the river

I read this as: Xs7s He cbet the flop. Took his free card and the flush came home. The raise is sized so you call and extracts good value from the trips.

A3 or K3o might also play this way, and choose not to scare an Ace out on the turn. Oooo I hit trips/boat better check. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I bet the turn fold to a raise worry about a smooth call. As played I bet the river as you did and fold to a raise or shove. Villian needs to show he can do this with air before I call here. Rarely is this a weaker ace or anything less than two pair.

I bet this flop too and do my best to control pot size if he comes along.

Mike
Old 10-28-2007, 06:17 PM

Is calling with A8 and playing passively standard?

I ask because I only call oop with hands that if I hit on the flop I can check-raise and push the turn and know that I am ahead even if called. I would call with A8 if villain has been raising a lot from the button and he would fold lower aces to my reraise and on the flop I think he will call with any Ace maybe even 99 TT on that board otherwise I fold and call with AT maybe AJ and reraise higher Aces
Old 10-29-2007, 12:21 AM

Pre-flop it's often times better to re-raise here oop . Since you didn't , check-calling the flop is fine . On the turn , I probably lead out with the likely best hand . Were you trying a check-raise here ?

On the river , your hand is pretty well disguised so it can be tricky . One way of answering this question (although not always) is to ask yourself if you would have raised the river with A-8 if the situation were reversed . If the answer is no , then your hand is probably no good and you can only beat a bluff .